British Airways union set to announce strike dates

By : Administrator
Published 12th March 2010 |
Read latest comment - 22nd March 2010

From the BBC:

The union representing British Airways cabin crew plans to announce strike dates later this morning, the BBC understands.

Unite has to give at least seven days' notice of any action, meaning strikes could start from Friday 19 March.

The union has pledged not to strike over Easter in the dispute over pay and staffing levels.

The announcement will come at a press conference at 1100 GMT. BA said it was "available for talks at any time".

The airline is also in discussion with baggage handling staff at Heathrow about potential changes to improve how the handlers work.

But a spokesperson for BA said any talk of strike action involving them would be "extremely speculative and premature".

BA cabin crew voted strongly in favour of strike action last month. BA and the union have been involved in negotiations, and are understood to have made some progress, but have so far not managed to reach agreement.

Back-up plans

The union has to announce any industrial action in the next few days or it will lose its mandate to strike.

BA has already made extensive contingency plans in case of strike action.

Full article:
BBC News - British Airways union set to announce strike dates

I am really starting to wish I'd booked with another carrier for my hols in May

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
forum avatarJonesboy
12th March 2010 3:30 PM
I was listening to Willie Walsh on R4 at lunchtime. BA need to sort things out or they'll really start to lose customers. I think the unions and the employees need to see what's going on in the world and adapt.

Well they started yesterday with the strike, I reckon that Wille Walsh is going to win this one and finally bring them into line with the real business world

tomsk

on the beeb this morning, they were saying BA were losing over

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

From the BBC:

I am really starting to wish I'd booked with another carrier for my hols in May

Holidays - who authorised holidays? - i want one!!!!

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments