So who lists in DMOZ - (ODP) Open Directory Project?

By : Forum Member
Published 21st March 2010 |
Read latest comment - 5th December 2010

Following Steve's question re Yahoo listing I just wondered if anybody endeavours to list in ODP?

If you've never heard of it the wikipeadia entry may help you.

Historically, it been regarded good to do so because it provides a great backlink from their website to your website and referred to by search engines to access and index information.

I still submit to it but does anybody else?
Comments
I just wondered if anybody endeavours to list in ODP?

...I still submit to it but does anybody else?

ha ha ha! If only.

Years ago we were in it, then, and I have no idea why, we were dropped. I've since tried to get us back in, nothing.

When we launched the US site, tried to get that one listed, nothing. I even engaged a professional SEO outfit (hmmm loose title) and asked them to get us listed, nothing.

So I'd like to list in the ODP, but for whatever reason, our face doesn't fit.

I've even applied to become an editor, and nothing, not heard a sausage.

The ODP used to be the place to be listed in, as a human edited database of websites, that had to meet certain criteria, it was seen as a spam free authoritive list of the web, and its database was used as a reference by Google.

Unfortunately, the quality seems to have declined over the years, with adhoc editorial control, I've seen different forum threads that vary from weeks to years to get listing approval! Plus there are questions of how much Google still actually use it.

But... It is free, so its well worth the effort to try and get listed, and if you do get in, then you have a quality backlink for your website.

Be interested to see if someone signs up with them, how quickly (and if!) they get approved. You can then tell me the secret!

I'll even give them a link to show no hard feelings
ODP - Open Directory Project

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Don't get me started on dmoz Tomsk walks away shaking his head

tomsk

Hmm, I've submitted successfully enough on some sites and other still waiting but as you say it's all done on a voluntary basis. So being patient is the key (if however, a website adds no real value and is just full of adsense adverts then maybe it'll never get in)

....and I hasten to add, being an editor does not make it any more likely to be submitted successfully as you must not push your own sites over the benefit of others and all affiliations have to be declared.

from sjr4x4.. I've even applied to become an editor, and nothing, not heard a sausage.

You should receive an automated email as acknowledgement of the application and to confirm application is genuine. Volunteers are always required.

Disclaimer
All comments are the thoughts of mine and not ODP but hopefully tis all above board!

....and I hasten to add, being an editor does not make it any more likely to be submitted successfully as you must not push your own sites over the benefit of others and all affiliations have to be declared.

You should receive an automated email as acknowledgement of the application and to confirm application is genuine. Volunteers are always required.

Tried twice a couple of years ago, never heard anything, can't rem if i got an automated mail or not. I love all things directory, hence MLS, to the point of sticking up for Yell on countless directory bashing threads

Quite liked the idea of being an editor of the ODP, but I do wonder as the web matures, if the frontier spirit of public editors and wikipedia type people power is becoming an archaic concept?

Steve Richardson

Yes must admit I do wonder, but Google takes updates from it so must add some value.

However, it's not the be all and end all... ..so if you're not on, there's still plenty of other SEO techniques to get to the top of the search page

Just found a good article, the editor in chief of DMOZ on the future of the DMOZ.

At least he admits its a little outdated and needs improvements, but looks like he has a plan. Now I wonder if he will let me in

DMOZ: A Decade in Review - DMOZ Blog

But as MrB says, it's not the be all and end all...

Steve Richardson

Steve

Any chance of running a thread for directories that people do like and list in for various reasons?

I am currently doing the rounds of directories to promote my business directory and most of them are shocking

tomsk

Talking of Business Directories, there are loads. You have for starters, the best (errrr..not bias ) The UK Business Directory, www.mylocalservices.co.uk and then you have the others>>

And then all the others on Google. So, the multi-miilion dollar question, what do your directories offer that others don't.

The dmoz debate keeps running on as does the yahoo debate, but the general opinion is that directories in the main really don't make that much of a difference to linking, that said I don't believe it as simply as that.

Most of us because in one shape or form are using the search engines more than the average user, by that I mean we look deeper into what we find when we see results, but there are many people that simply just click a link because it is there on the top of google, if it happens to be a directory link they don't make a judgement as long as they find what they are looking for.

Take my directory for example:

Does it have any page rank yet - Answer is no

So why should you join it? - Answer is if it where a business card you would give it to someone to let them no how to find you and that business card might not get used for 6 months - or 12 months but when someone is ready and they need you on that business card would be what you do, how to contact you etc.

Choose a directory that showcases your business not just one line saying this is who we are and a link to your site.

Directories like freeindex give you a full business profile when you list - see directories as placing an advert in a magazine, if a directory has loads of sites for gambling, phone ringtones and other no real business orientated listings simply move on.

As always just my 2 cents

tomsk

This Thread is now closed for comments