Google redesigns the search results - yes, it impacts you!

By : Administrator
Published 13th May 2016 |
Read latest comment - 3rd June 2016

The good old Google search page has been the subject of many changes over recent months, and is now receiving a subtle but important change that may impact you. 

According to the SEM Post, it has been widened from 500 pixels to 600, with decreases in the white space between the results and the panels that display on the right hand side.

So there is more room to display more information in the search results. It looks like the roll out landed in the UK this morning.

Impact to you - title tags and meta descriptions

Your visible title tags have now increased in size before Google Truncates them.

eg The below result for petrol stations show how our title tag and description were optimised for the old Google values which used to be around 55 characters. Add too much text and Google will truncate it with a "..."

The description tag is your ability to tell the world what your page is all about. Best practice used to be around 155 characters, after that it was truncated. 

The second result from esso fuel finder shows the impact of longer title tags, and they are now displaying 74 characters before Google truncated it.

Both results clearly show that longer descriptions are now possible. It's not 100% clear what the new values are, SEM Post states:

"Descriptions have also increased by about 16-20 characters per line.  The new description length per line is 100 characters.

However (important!) Google is still truncated the descriptions for many search results.  This means that the overall description is only displaying 150-160 characters total right now, for a usual 2 line snippet."

This seems to be the case, sticking with the petrol station theme and looking at Thomson Locals results:

So the description field has increased, but Google for some reason truncates it half way down the second line, which upsets my ordered OCD world!

PPC Adwords impact

If you are using adwords, then check out your adverts. It looks like the titles and descriptions have increased for those as well. I've just amended some of mine and can now fit in an extra keyword.

I suspect this will start impacting bidding and prices, on top of the other recent adwords changes by dropping the right hand sponsor advert display in the search results.

Comparison - The old days and how it looks today

I think it looks crisper and less cluttered than old, but here's an a screen shot from a couple of years ago, underneath one from today. Select the images to see a large version.

It just emphasises the amount of changes Google is continually doing, so make sure you take a look at your own website and see if you need to make any amendments.

May 2016

June 2014

You can clearly see the wider search results, but look at some of the other changes in the last two years.

• Google author tag - showing your author image - now scrapped
  • We were showing two right hand information panels due to the chaos of Google merging maps and Google+, which has now changed again!
  • Google review stars and address snippets for your homepage - now gone
  • Bold text titles - now gone and looks better having less bold IMHO
  • Bold text for search terms - this is a recent one, Google now only bold's  typed keywords in the URL, as opposed to the title tag and description as it used to.

Summary

Check out your title and description tags, and check how your sites look in the new style search results. 

Any thoughts, problems, comments?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Hi Steve,

There are a whole host of changes going on with the SERPS primarily to do with falling ad revenues. Very recently it was reducing the snack pack from 7 to just 3, removing the right hand side ads and increasing the number of above the line ads to 4 to further drop organic rankings further down the page (I wrote about this on our blog http://www.digitalhound.co.uk/blog/ a while back).

The most recent developments with Adwords for instance has seen Google switch to a 30-30-80-character format from their 25-35-35-character ad format of the past 15 years. In reality, this will mean pushing the organic search results even further down the page and with consumer attention spans being what they currently are, advertisers who have trialled the new format are already reporting a 20% higher CTR than before, making Google laugh all the way the bank!

Whilst advertisers may be celebrating this new move, sadly I feel that it is cynically motivated to try and force more companies, some of whom can ill afford it to undertake a traffic paying model if they want to survive over the long term.

Darryl Antonio
Digitalhound
Digitalhound Ltd | Digital Marketing Services

Don't I know google about google changes , I can't upload to shopping any more as all of a sudden I have critical issues to sort out and have no idea how to do these yet

Not performing automatic item updates for availability
Not performing automatic item updates for price
Missing schema.org microdata availability information
Missing microdata for condition
Missing schema.org microdata price information

I have never had a problem in the last 7 years , I've kept updating my site to suite google and they keep moving the goal posts.. Some times I wonder if I should pack google in and use Bing 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments