The top 10 US bankruptcies... Food for thought!

By : Administrator
Published 2nd November 2009 |
Read latest comment - 4th November 2009

CIT Group's filing for Chapter 11 protection is the fifth-largest in U.S. history. Here are the top 10 U.S. bankruptcy filings, based on the companies' most recent annual report before filing for bankruptcy protection, according to BankruptcyData.com.

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., Sept. 15, 2008, $691.06 billion

Washington Mutual Inc., Sept. 26, 2008, $327.91 billion

WorldCom Inc., July 21, 2002, $103.91 billion

General Motors Corp., June 1, 2009, $91.05 billion-x

CIT Group Inc., Nov. 1, 2009, $71 billion

Enron Corp., Dec. 2, 2001, $65.50 billion

Conseco Inc., Dec. 17, 2002, $61.39 billion

Chrysler LLC, April 30, 2009, $39.30 billion

Thornburg Mortgage Inc., May 1, 2009, $36.52 billion

Pacific Gas and Electric Co., April 6, 2001, $36.15 billion

Original Article:
A look at the top 10 US bankruptcies - BusinessWeek

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
forum avatarKip FX Design
2nd November 2009 6:46 PM
Will make sure that I sell for just a few Billion then, instead of holding on too long!

forum avatarbiz-angel
3rd November 2009 5:02 PM
I dont understand how big corporations can be allowed to so badly mismanaged that they go bust. Youd think their boards were monitoring what was going on. Guess its down to sheer greed.

Overstretching themselves in pursuit of big profits, borrowing heavily without paying too much attention to the world outside. Disgusting, you wonder how these CEO's became so reckless

I dont understand how big corporations can be allowed to so badly mismanaged that they go bust. Youd think their boards were monitoring what was going on. Guess its down to sheer greed.

It's incredible, household names with proud histories run into the ground because of reckless decisions.

Suppose we can all be wise with hindsight, but as a business owner I know I have to take certain risks, but these are always thought through and ideas bounced around.

How so many people in such large organisations can get it so wrong is staggering. Maybe its more complacency than greed, or a mixture of the two.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I wonder if anymore will be added to that list in 12 months time....

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments