forum avatar

Building Business Mailing Lists

By
Published 21st October 2011 |
Read latest comment - 6th December 2011

Though we have our own mailing list generation and management, I am curious how you build your own business contact lists. Share your own thoughts.
Comments
One of the problems with the lead generation industry is quality, mainly down to peoples experiences of buying in or utilizing low quality data.

Unfortunately having a data company spamming forums with posts from multiple user accounts from the same company (bluebertha aka callboxinc) does little to repair that reputation

Have deleted user accounts cleaningleads and contactdata but left you this one.

Now feel free to engage and contribute with this forum community, but any self promo stuff or more user accounts then its the delete button.

To answer the question, for us, having used a variety of lead generation companies in the past with varied results, we now build our own contact lists.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarBluefinNW
5th December 2011 4:41 PM
Sounds a bit like self promo to me... give you benefit of doubt though.

I like many other development executives feel that by engaging people face to face is the best form of database building you can do and unlike most people coming from a sales background I enjoy the challenge of building my own database of customers knowing that I can put 100% effort into each one and know what quality they are. I do not believe in paying for leads, databases or lists as this would be very costly and also may not have the same effect.

What ever happened to good old fashioned networking? B2B companies often deliver very indifferent results and its a very expensive way to find out which are good and which are not.

Thanks

I seem to have been bombarded over the last 3 days with emails from some company asking me if I want to buy email lists, they get annoying in the end..

Thanks,
Barney

Sounds a bit like self promo to me... give you benefit of doubt though.

You can smell them

Sorry databaselists, but we don't appreciate people just copy and pasting the same post from other forums, but you're not banned.. yet, so feel free to contribute.

Just looked at your site though, so you are selling an email database of 3.7 million records for

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarBluefinNW
6th December 2011 7:56 AM
Hi Steve,

Was thinking the same thing, its all well and good getting 3.7 million but imagine the work going into getting them interested in what you are selling/offering. I was once offered the use of a b2b company and although I thought the concept seemed interesting if the data was properly cleansed first, found that 8 calls to the client within a 4 week period a little bit of an overkill and the work load was not allocated to the specific client.
If I rang the same customer 8 times within 4 weeks, I would probably not get near the sale and also would probably never get them to answer my call again! You have to judge the prospect and then adapt to what you feel might work using your experience.

Thanks

I think the best way is to build your own. Naturally we have emails coming in every day fo quotations, from these you can build a profile of what they are looking for and maybe what else could be attractive, a peep at their website will give you lots more data, as long as they are not gmail addresses or the like. Of course this takes time but at least you know there is somenone there and they are quality based. The thing is these enquiries are for at least one of the products or services you have on offer so they are certainly valid opportunities.

It's bet to categorize these as you want to make sure you target properly and not upset the recipient and lose them from future mailings.

With mailing lists bought from a third party, so many are out of date or totally irrelevent. I have been getting more and more crap spam mail lately and on several occasions made the mistake of unsubscribing which tells the other side that my email is still live, thereby generating further unwanted spam as my email gets added to more and more of these databases.

garlex

This Thread is now closed for comments