Thomas Cook Tour Operator struggling

By : Administrator
Published 22nd November 2011 |
Read latest comment - 28th November 2011

Uh oh, here's another high profile casualty sliding into disaster. Thomas Cook the UK travel operator is having a cashflow crisis and is trying to secure more bank borrowing, further

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
forum avatarBluefinNW
22nd November 2011 7:32 PM
All I can say really is its a shame.... like the general public I am one of those people that like choice in what I buy and where I buy it from...we are just going to end up with a couple of banks, a couple of insurance companies, a couple of supermarkets.. etc... no choice and then everyone will basically work for the same companies...

I remember and enjoyed the days of Kwik Save, Woolworths, Mr Wimpy(not many left), Little Chef(again very sparce) and even the local post offices at the end of the road... how times change!!

Going back to Thomas Cook - like you said no-one will look at booking in case of losing their money... all I would say without pitching this to anyone is make sure you take TRAVEL INSURANCE out when you next book your holiday via TC

I'm surprised the banks haven't called in or reduced the overdraft facilities, surely they must know that in the current climate less people will be taking holidays abroad. Most people I know who went away this year either went camping for the first time in their lives or used a voucher from the Sun newspaper, my neighbour went on one I think it cost them

Thanks,
Barney

I'm surprised the banks haven't called in or reduced the overdraft facilities, surely they must know that in the current climate less people will be taking holidays abroad.

Agree totally, this current climate has been going on now for years, admittingly the Arab spring didn't help matters, but I'm amazed the banks allowed the borrowing to extend to this level, especially after all the recent lessons and high profile collapses.

Maybe it's all secured against assets, not sure if they have their own aircraft and high ticket price items.

Steve Richardson

Hope they last to end of Januray at least, I'm supposed to be going to the Caymans with them then. Wish me luck!!

Uh oh, here's another high profile casualty sliding into disaster. Thomas Cook the UK travel operator is having a cashflow crisis and is trying to secure more bank borrowing, further

garlex

Hope they last to end of Januray at least, I'm supposed to be going to the Caymans with them then. Wish me luck!!

Oh blimey, fingers crossed Nice place to get stranded though

Steve Richardson

You're right, I just need to get there.

Oh blimey, fingers crossed Nice place to get stranded though

garlex

Well obviously their sales pitch to the bank managers must have been word perfect for them to raise another

Thanks,
Barney

What gets me though is the fact that I assume there is a top FD at the company and a team of expensive accountants, a full board with loads of top excec's on it and no one see's the elephant in the room.

If your business model is based on what natural disaster or strike is going to happen next surely you must plan for it - (keep money in reserve)

Also something that I have never understood a company makes say

tomsk

Also something that I have never understood a company makes say

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments