Planning for Christmas

By : Business Start Up
Published 18th August 2012 |
Read latest comment - 31st August 2012

So I was told that M&S already have their Christmas window display in the shops and its not even September yet, how far in advance do you all start planning for Christmas?

Harry1
Comments
Seems like that is extremely early to begin planning for Christmas.

Scintillion

November for us, time to relax and reflect on the year.

Mark Pitts

Nothing here so far, I wonder why these guys are starting this early?

Thanks,
Dreamraven

It seems the shops get earlier each year they may as well just leave it out all year

Harry1

I remember our local pub had a xmas display up from the beginning of October to take party bookings. Seemed odd but guess it makes sense.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I imagine it depends on what sort of business you run as to when you start with the Christmas build up. Harrods had theirs up end of July to appeal to the tourists

Harry1

We do have the xmas shop in Stratford, xmas trees and decorations all year round... Tourists love it...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

If its actually a Christmas shop and it sells all year round that's not as crazy as starting in July

Harry1

If its actually a Christmas shop and it sells all year round that's not as crazy as starting in July

Speaking from experience it depends on what you are planning for.

Now, one of my businesses (link in signature) plans for Christmas right after Christmas, as stock needs to be decided upon, manufactured and shipped which can take 6 months from start to finish. Plus, the products need to be decided upon and live on the site as some customers like to get their orders in by April/May to guarantee they will have stock themselves.

Retailers however plan a little earlier than what the shopper would expect to see in the windows, specifically if times are tough and they are looking to use the feel good factor to boost sales and get feet through the door.

Personally, I leave my own gift shopping etc till last minute!!

Paul Myers

This Thread is now closed for comments