What's in a name... change...

By : Business Owner
Published 11th June 2015 |
Read latest comment - 22nd June 2015

Over my business life, I've made quite a few name changes to Limited companies, but, never anything that detracts from its original. 

I've gone from things like A&B Ltd to A&B Fruit Ltd. Often the change to better represent the business.

But, I've sort of stumbled into a community that regularly does change its names - and not for good reasons.

Take for example a shop not far from me that's just rebranded... the shop owner proudly told me he did it to escape some debt the business had built up.

HANG ON... I thought... the interior is the same, the stock is the same, you're the same... the only thing that's changed is your store name, and Ltd company details. A quick check showed me his existing Limited company had been liquidated, and guess what... he bought the stock for 1/8th of what he owed on it!

Although I'm not naive to think this doesn't occur, I was shocked with the frequency of it in this little location. 

The morale and ethical standing behind it is all wrong. That's not to say I've not been involved with a business that's turning sour - but, I've just binned it, after settling debts, and moved on to something new. That's led me to where we are now. If I didn't do that, I'd still be selling sweets on the black market I'd created in my high school... and being in detention for it...

But, how can someone get away with this? Laws aside, if a customer didn't pay me, and flipped their business, they'd be getting a personal visit from me for a one way chat. 

Anyone else seen or experienced something similar?

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...
Comments

The situation you're describing is quite unethical, indeed! I would surely discourage anyone from doing business with a company that can one day disappear. This certainly does not help their credibility, and as a business, you have a reputation to uphold.

Remember that the business is not only the name of a limited company, but also the opinion about the owner. This person may struggle to build a long-lasting relationships with their customers and business partners, which may work today, but could easily turn out to be devastating in the long run.

Especially that what he's doing may be illegal...

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

Yeah I've seen it before ,but don't know the reasons behind it though .. In my last village where we lived a small restaurant must have changed it's name every year (7 years) tbh we did wonder if it was for that reason too ,but I never did ask...

Doing business that way you will never get the trust of the people and build up a relationship

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This just gets me really angry and i have no idea why its legal 

I get that sometimes things go wrong and companies go bust, but you should not be able to escape from your debt by transferring the "goodwill" of a company to another trading name or hide behind your spouse.

Time for this archaic and immoral practice loop hole to be closed.

Clive

This just gets me really angry and i have no idea why its legal 

I get that sometimes things go wrong and companies go bust, but you should not be able to escape from your debt by transferring the "goodwill" of a company to another trading name or hide behind your spouse.

Time for this archaic and immoral practice loop hole to be closed.”

Don't think anybody can argue with that - seems sensible but yet it happens.  Why / how!??

This seems to happen with shops rather a lot...little shops that set up to sell Christmas goods or other random crud. They then shut down and reopen with a different name. I came across it when I worked for a council, as we'd be chasing up business rates...it's an absolute nightmare! It's ridiculous this loophole exists!

I was telling a work college about this thread ..While we were chatting he said 1 of the shops he used to do work in went bankrupt ,the shop owner reopened the store under a new name and re bought all his stock back for next to nothing .... that can't be right

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Everyone hates the fact this is legal....until it ever happens to them then they think, Thank God for that!!

indizine
indizine

Everyone hates the fact this is legal....until it ever happens to them then they think, Thank God for that!!”

Not once changed a company name to rid debt. I can't think of anything more unethical and dirty is business. I'd sell my house and kidneys before I bluffed off suppliers invoices and staff wages! 

Reputation is part of the wheel of business.

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...

Not once changed a company name to rid debt. I can't think of anything more unethical and dirty is business. I'd sell my house and kidneys before I bluffed off suppliers invoices and staff wages! 

Reputation is part of the wheel of business.

I couldn't agree more. It's totally immoral. I like to hope karma comes to get those people that do. 

This Thread is now closed for comments