How to save a few quid on security

By : Administrator
Published 17th May 2017 |
Read latest comment - 15th November 2017

A Facebook post that made me smile

In the light of recent announcements by my local Police force that they no longer consider it necessary to attend the scene of domestic burglaries, I have taken down the St. George's flag from beside the house and peeled the burglar alarm sticker off the front door.

We've taken down the CCTV cameras, disconnected our home alarm system, cancelled its connection to the security monitoring service and quit our Neighbourhood Watch.

Instead, I've bought two ISIS flags on eBay and raised them in the front garden, one at each end.

Now the local police, CID, MI5, MI6, the SAS and other UK Counter Terrorism agencies are all watching the house 24/7.

We've never felt safer and we're saving £24.95 a month...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Very funny, but also having a serious message.

JuliaP

Hmmm.. food for thought...

We had some vans broken into outside our offices a while ago and the first thing the Police asked was whether we had CCTV. We had, and played the footage back only to watch half an hour of two hooded characters attempting to steal our vans.  Average height, average weight, black clothes. Very useful.

Now if we'd had the CCTV cameras at a height that would have caught their faces instead of the tops of their hoods then that would have been useful....

So just think about that when installing CCTV cameras. Obviously don't put them somewhere reachable so that a savvy burglar can drop his jacket over the lens while he nicks your car, but equally if you can have a camera installed indoors (or hidden in a hedge...?) in a position that will capture something useful like their faces - then this is surely the way forward.

I know you might think that having a camera somewhere visible acts as a deterrent, but it clearly doesn't when a hoodie can hide a multitude of sins.

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday

So just think about that when installing CCTV cameras. Obviously don't put them somewhere reachable so that a savvy burglar can drop his jacket over the lens while he nicks your car, but equally if you can have a camera installed indoors (or hidden in a hedge...?) in a position that will capture something useful like their faces - then this is surely the way forward.”

Hmmm is food for thought, never would have considered that! Wonder how many alarm installers consider factors like that when installing them? Or do they just stick them where the customer wants them?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I know you might think that having a camera somewhere visible acts as a deterrent, but it clearly doesn't when a hoodie can hide a multitude of sins."

So you're not going to 'hug a hoodie' anytime soon then? Haha. That was a David Cameron slogan for anyone who's forgotten! 

That's very frustrating though, to have that all in place then still get nothing useful. My ex got beaten up in a town centre, full of CCTV and that was useless too! 

This Thread is now closed for comments