Anyone used Wix?

By Rebecca (PayforPrecision) : Forum Moderator
Published 20th September 2017 | Last comment 9th November 2018
Comments

Another example of everyone having a different opinion on the best thing to use. I have given up on the idea of a website at the moment. When my children are in more childcare I will look at it again but I have too many friends who threw away money on sketchy websites and I don't like spending my profits, I am sure one day I will take the plunge!

Another example of everyone having a different opinion on the best thing to use. I have given up on the idea of a website at the moment. When my children are in more childcare I will look at it again but I have too many friends who threw away money on sketchy websites and I don't like spending my profits, I am sure one day I will take the plunge!”

Dont loose hope, there are some good ones out there! Look at there portfolio and contact there clients to ask for an honest testimonial on them.

Hope it helps

regards pete

Thanks
SwankyPixels

Sorry to dredge an older post, but I'm new here and thought I'd input some help...

Wix - stay away if you are serious about your business. Yes the paid plans are better than the free ones, but who needs a monthly charge just for a website!?!? (no one!)

Squarespace - as mentioned, tread with caution! Their sites are designed to "lock you in" so if you ever decide to move your site to a new platform you potentially could lose everything - most importantly SEO history!

@Rebecca - you mention a couple of times that you don't have much budget or want monthly payments. Wordpress is perfect for this! Other than domain and web hosting renewals annually, which should be no more than £100, once the site is built, it's free! I'm talking WordPress.org here not WordPress.com.

I've built a few low cost "single page" sites for businesses who just needed to "get online" and later down the line, if they need to, they/we can expand the site to have more pages. Once setup, the WP CMS is so simple that adding new pages and blogs is easy - I encourage all my clients to learn what to do and understand their business!

As you're a Wordsmith, the hardest part of any project should be easy-peasy for you! Writing content about your business.

Hope that helps, by all means ask any questions you have.

Kind regards,
Simon Berry
Digital Berry Ltd | Visit our Website

Thanks Simon, I appreciate the input. I very nearly signed up with a web designer who trains you to do your own but I just don't have time at the moment! I will budget some money for it next year, I am still on the first page of Google for Proofreader in Coventry without a website, so it is not a desperate situation. It will be my first full tax year working increased hours and really pushing things next year so I hope to look into it more then, and the following year I will have even more time. Currently paying for childcare for my son so I have to prioritise the work not the actual business. If that makes sense. 

No worries Rebecca, I completely understand (my little one starts nursery at the end of the month - my gosh they know how to charge!) and it sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Kind regards,
Simon Berry
Digital Berry Ltd | Visit our Website

No worries Rebecca, I completely understand (my little one starts nursery at the end of the month - my gosh they know how to charge!) and it sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Yes, childcare is not cheap! My childminder is like my son's second mother though, I am lucky to have her. My daughter didn't start nursery until she was 3 so it was funded. I hope it goes well for your little one <3

This Thread is now closed for comments