My Website

By : Business Owner
Published 29th March 2020 |
Read latest comment - 23rd May 2020

I've tried to avoid doing this as I don't like to but over the past year and a half, my website has been dying a slow death and it's visible on my analytics graph. My last order was early February. I don't want to chuck it all it as I have spent too many years with it. Could I ask you guys to take a look I'm sure you can find it or if you don't can PM it to you? Let me know what you think and what I can do to improve it. I already have google and Bing running and all I've done is give them money every month. If I recall I have asked this before when I was with another e-commerce store , but have changed since then to a fork of prestashop 

TIA

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World
Comments

Hi Andy, don’t know why you didn’t put a link on here to it.... I got to it from your Twitter account.... anyway not sure if it differs if your looking at the site with a normal computer screen, but I’m using an iPad and the add to cart box is up and down all over the place.... Other than that, I think someone like Steve can give better advice......

Thanks,
Barney

From a non technical side of things as a 'customer' is straight into the products, but no info about who you are and why you sell this stuff and what it is really... Might sound silly but wouldn't it better to have some blurb on the home page really selling your products and your brand? Also looks like there's a menu at the top left but does nothing. I had to click on left and right column. Can you not name those menu and info or something? 

In the nicest possible way, for expensive products it looks like a cheap site. Check out pickapocket, who do ties and socks etc. My mate runs that. I can put you on touch with him if you want, as he's had incredible success with e-commerce and he's a lovely guy. Just drop me a message.

Hi Andy

First things first, I thought you had an MLS listing, (which would show up in your profile and give a link to your site in your signature. I've had a look but can't find one, or a deleted one (in case you haven't clicked our auto are you still their email).

As a quick fix, I've added your weblink to your signature. Feel free to list again and I'll upgrade you (as a long time forum veteran!),  just let me know when you have (PM me).

But we are in serious times, so think overhead and cash. Don't waste money now on anything that isn't working. If PPC isn't working right now, then stop it, save money, regroup and replan.

If the website isn't really working right now and you're getting little traffic, then concentrate on new avenues. Everyone is at home, everyone is living on social media. Take advantage, you have a captive audience. People still have birthdays, anniversaries, celebrate events. If anything you are perfectly poised to capitalise on this. 

You are currently furloughed, so have buckets of time. Make the most of it.

Look at your social media presence, look at your branding, look at the type of posts you are putting out. 

If it was me, I'd give my FB page a makeover. Don't just share images of tankards and a link to your website, that's lazy selling that generates nothing. Tell me why I need to buy a tankard. Tell me this is the perfect gift for someone I love but can't see. Tell me I can have a personal message engraved. Tell me why your service is above and beyond and better than Amazon.

Look at your posting frequency, live on Facebook, make it your shop front. You did a good post for Mothers day, then did 2 lazy posts on 2 and 3 March, then a joke post on 22 March.

I'd be making my page look the best I possibly could, I would be working out a posting schedule, I'd be looking for FB groups to join, looking for ways to get my message out there. I'd be putting posts out which are engaging, positive.

Maybe send your local hospital a big plaque with a thanks from all of us, or even Tescos. Then shout as loud as you can without being too obvious! There are thousands of marketing ideas if you sit back and think about it. This would be a good place for a bit of PPC, a £10 boost here or there will give you a reach of thousands. If your page looks the part and your message is good, then that's a lot of possible eyeballs who need to buy presents.

I've seen my social media traffic explode. I've completely readapted and (for my Trusted Trader business) have become an information service, pushing out official information, breaking down FAQs into easily digestible information, offering guidance on interpreting official policy. My twitter following has doubled in the last 7 days.

I've yet to start with MLS, step 1 get active again in the forum. So we are all learning, all adapting.

Be proactive, you are in an industry that can keep trading products online, and have a captive audience who are desperate for ideas in how to make an event, milestone or important day special. 

Now is your time. To be honest, if you don't make money now,  you never will. Sod the website, that's vanity and for simply sending people to buy stuff. Make sure the check out process is as slick as you can make it, otherwise don't waste time on it. Go to where the traffic is, social media.

Be proactive, be positive, react quickly and start owning the pewter space. Your mission is to make me think, blimey I need to buy some Pewter and Andy is that man 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks, for all the replies, something to look at and think about ..Thank you, Steve for re-adding my signature link... It disappeared 1 day and as I didn't pay for it I didn't want to make a fuss over it, so just left it... Sorry Barney, I didn't post my link as it is against the rules

Yes, I have stopped paying for advertising with Google and Bing as like I said it was bringing nothing in.. I am at the moment trying to list all my remaining stock on Ebay in hoping to make a few pounds to let me start anew. Will take what you said on board and try and get some new ideas for posts on FB etc.

I have another venture I am looking into with screen protectors for a specific line as no one I know sells + I have a customer lined up as a trial but corona hit so am not sure what is happening anymore so will need to chase that up. I am constantly looking for better companies to deal with for the best price..

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I've tried to avoid doing this as I don't like to but over the past year and a half, my website has been dying a slow death and it's visible on my analytics graph. My last order was early February. I don't want to chuck it all it as I have spent too many years with it. Could I ask you guys to take a look I'm sure you can find it or if you don't can PM it to you? Let me know what you think and what I can do to improve it. I already have google and Bing running and all I've done is give them money every month. If I recall I have asked this before when I was with another e-commerce store , but have changed since then to a fork of prestashop 

TIA”

Hi Andy,

I think your website loading speed is very slow from Desktop and Mobile view. I had tested your website in Google web developer speed test tool. If you improve the loading speed definitely you can get good result.

Tested Link: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pewterworld.co.uk%2F&tab=mobile

Steve Good,
GWC India Pvt Ltd

I am moving host soon as I have no choice siteground are charging £380 for the year ..Shocking ..I've found what I think is a good deal with Hostinger £130 for 2 years with VPS  1 vCPU, 1 GB, 20 GB ..The only problem is I have no idea on speed 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I've tried to avoid doing this as I don't like to but over the past year and a half, my website has been dying a slow death and it's visible on my analytics graph. My last order was early February. I don't want to chuck it all it as I have spent too many years with it........ ”

Hi Andy

We dropped our Google and Facebook advertising over the period we were unable to work.  We sell a service rather than a product so it made no sense to continue when we couldn't visit people and they couldn't visit us. 

However, we have always kept up our organic search ranks by writing blog posts about our case studies, experiences, legal issues related to what we do and general news about our industry. We kept that up during the lockdown and have retained our ranks for our chosen keywords.  I suggest you add a blog to your site.  

As someone else pointed out you don't have a lot of content on your website.  You should add some.  We have an in house copywriter who can probably help you with a few names of writers if you aren't creative in that way.  We find it works for us and note that if we stop adding content (e.g. writing blog posts or adding pages) our rank drops,  Generally it is cheaper than advertising too.

Hope that helps.

Christine | Lie Detector Test UK

Thanks,
LieDetectorTestUK

Thank you.

Have looked into them before as I know my content is not at all good and needs to change (I did try once and their descriptions were terrible, ended up removing them).. My biggest issue is spending money..Yes I know you have to spend to make ... + I think/know my biggest fall down is not being able to do creative writing like that  lol.

Although am happy to try if you know someone who can try help

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Thank you.

Have looked into them before as I know my content is not at all good and needs to change (I did try once and their descriptions were terrible, ended up removing them).. My biggest issue is spending money..Yes I know you have to spend to make ... + I think/know my biggest fall down is not being able to do creative writing like that  lol.

Although am happy to try if you know someone who can try help”

You already know a blog/content writer.... 

This Thread is now closed for comments