Has anyone had their content stolen?

By : Forum Member
Published 8th July 2020 |
Read latest comment - 17th July 2020

We have a competitor who is rewriting the content from our blog.  It has caused us a couple of problems with clients phoning us and asking if we have shared their cases study information with this company. We have their agreement to publish case studies on our own blog providing we change their names and locations.

The competitors company name is similar to our own.  He is either spinning the content using software or using someone whose first language is not English.  The content on his blog is gobbledegook but the case studies are clearly ours.  It's not inconceivable that he has similar clients to ours but there is so much detail in his blogs that it's clear he is rewriting our content.

One of our clients called the competitor and asked how their cases study was on his blog.  He told them that we had an excellent content writer and that he was just rewriting our stuff.  He made a point of saying that it was perfectly legal for him to do this.

Running his stuff through Copyscape some come up as over 70% plagiarised and some 0% but in every detail each case study is the same as ours.

We have asked him to stop doing this and his response was to rewrite more of our stuff.

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas what we can do about it?

Thanks,
LieDetectorTestUK
Comments

Sorry to hear this is happening to you.. Can you not report them somewhere or threaten to take them to court

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

"Sorry to hear this is happening to you.. Can you not report them somewhere or threaten to take them to court"

Hi Andy

Unfortunately it would probably cost us more than we lose through it. We would have to prove that we had lost business through it, which given the lockdown would be hard to evaluate.

We have officially complained to the Association that we both belong to so await their response. It really is infuriating.

Thanks,
LieDetectorTestUK

I do find it strange that someone in your field cannot write their own content and resort to stealing other peoples work. The only thing that comes to mind is that they cannot be very good.

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Considering we are bound by a strict code of ethics, we find it astonishing too.  Reading the way our content has been rewritten, as a potential client, we too would wonder what else they were not good at.  

Thanks,
LieDetectorTestUK

That is a disgrace!! Unfortunately people do do this. Like has been said you could take them to court. I had an ide athat a cease and desist wasn't that costly, but I could be wrong enitirely. 

One thing is for certain if their content is as bad as you say it is unlikely to do them any good and sometimes the best way forward is to run your own race and let them trip themselves up.

I do think it would be worth getting some free legal advice though, to see if that would help. 

Thanks Rebecca

The legal advice is that we have to prove we have suffered loss and given the lockdown that would be almost impossible to to do.

We are awaiting the outcome of an investigation by the American Polygraph Association to which we both belong.  

Our main concern is that the names of our companies are very alike and we would hate to be associated with this content. Not to mention the calls we have had from two clients asking us if we have shared their cases with anyone else, which we haven't.  

We'll get over it I'm sure but it is infuriating.

Thanks,
LieDetectorTestUK

It sounds really difficult! I really sympathise. I hope they get bored soon! That's annoying that you have to show loss as well. 

Maybe use some of your products on them. 

I do hope it works itself out soon. 

Its a real pain and have been there a few times.

Options I have done in the past.

• Contact the offending site directly and tell them in no uncertain terms you are unhappy and they are to remove the content otherwise you will contacting their ISP (their hosting service provider).

Mixed results, from 2 fingers to very sorry and will remove.
  • You can contact their ISP by tracking them down using tools such as whois.net. Look for the name servers, that will normally tell you who the hosting provider is. Google them and find their contact info. Tell them one of their clients is plagiarising your content and you would like that content removed asap.

Depending on the ISP, size and location, will decide how far you get. Some will have a process and be happy to help, others will give you 2 fingers.
  • Nuclear approach. Raise a  DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act ) request with Google and have the content removed from their search index.

You will jump through hoops, and the process isn't quick, but they normally get there in the end.

Final one, do a search for DMCA or content removal services, and there are loads of people out there who offer this as a paid service, but never bothered myself.

It's frustrating, and part of the digital world we live in. Few people take it seriously and fewer people care 

Hope you get it sorted.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks for the advice Steve, much appreciated

Thanks,
LieDetectorTestUK

This Thread is now closed for comments