Telemarketing - Good or Bad?

By garde : Forum Member
Published 8th July 2013 | Last comment 10th November 2013
Comments
What our government basically told us was that they use this new system to track criminals, which would help lower crime rates, yada yada.... The minute you buy a new sim card, it needs to be registered, regardless of which network you're using. If not, the sim is locked and you can't use it.

Blimey! In theory, sounds like a good idea, but I guess your argument is that personal data is leaking out, which then undermines the whole system.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Telemarketing has been a good marketing weapon. Now days due to e marketing and SMS marketing the telemarketing has suffered a bit. But then to many small and large business companies use this marketing strategy.

dianafox789

Blimey! In theory, sounds like a good idea, but I guess your argument is that personal data is leaking out, which then undermines the whole system.

Entirely. When I got my iPhone, I had to get a new sim, so instead of getting a new number, I decided to sim swap, so I would keep my number. On their systems, they could see the last five numbers I had dialled on my phone as well as anyone calling me. That in itself shows me that my number, in the wrong hands, can cause problems.

Before RICA, I didn't really have a problem with telemarketing, when my sim was RICA'd, it was like a floodgate opening. I get phone calls, as well as texts with the ominous opt out that costs me money in the end to free myself of it.

thumbsdown

Thanks,
Dreamraven

Personally I can't see these calls having a future, but then having said that I don't understand how they work even now? I mean who doesn't just slam the phone down? Ok maybe not slam but you no what I mean. I would love to hear about anyone who has made a success with these calls. What were your tactics, what were the percentages etc

ideas reaction

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has implemented new rules for telemarketing effective this October, and this is certain to affect telemarketing campaigns.

It sounds great if it works. But realistically, other than a few high profile cases that no doubt will be used and held up as examples, how is it going to be effectively enforced? Is there a staffed agency that that will be specifically monitoring this, or will it be passed on to some other dept or agency, and no doubt slide down the priority queue.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

In the US, cold calls from business to customer is dead with the implementation of the DO Not Call laws, yet it still amazes me that some companies do it. I don't have a home phone, but my parent still do and most calls are telemarketers (or legal authorities from when I lived there years ago ).

Years ago, we used to get 3-4% conversion ratio from telemarketing. It was a great way to hunker down and make some quick sales if I needed the money. It must be down to .001% conversion ratio now, if that.

On the other hand, B2B can still be profitable if you have the temperment for it and can wiggle your way past the gate keepers.

I don't bother with it.

MasBro

This Thread is now closed for comments