My internet woes... Help me please... anyone....

By Centric : Business Owner
Published 20th January 2015 | Last comment 8th August 2015
Comments

You're dead right. These things can effect the magical waves of power from the net box...

But, it's been tried out. (All power off apart from hub and computer to try and fault find).

Router works well on another line too...

Funny enough, the last 2 days it's been stable. Clearly, My Local Services have more power than the whole of BT... as just talking about the problems have brought about a resolution! (Fingers crossed)

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...

Hi

Try removing the Filter, this might help, all the best.

I was told to add the filter and just connected it and it worked fine.

Slava

Since having a new connection at an office around 12 months ago, my internet connection life has been nothing short of a complete misery.

So, here's the background...

1 mile from the exchange.
From master socket > Filter > Landline + Broadband.

From router > LAN - IP phone + desktop > Wireless - 1 Laptop.

Broadband cuts out 8 - 20 times a day. (Messages vary from limited connection to No internet)

BT Openreach have been on site around 10 times to check the line, and the broadband, and always report no fault.

My provider have a case open always trying to track the fault down.

Where does one go from here...

I've replaced the router 3 times, in case it's that. Replaced the cables. Replaced the Master socket. I've fiddled with settings, done this, done that and after a year, the issue is still unresolved.

I am known for my patience. (A year is pretty good eh!)

All I want is  the net to work. I've paid without fail, and received no discount.

Do I:

a) Keep giving them time.

b) Change provider in the hope it fixes it

c) Lose the plot and rewire the world myself

Any advice on what to do when all forms of repair have failed? Anyone experienced anything similar?

Intermittent faults are awful to track down and very much dependent on the quality of field engineer that looks at the problem. The fault has to be tracked back through and if it has multiple causes solving can be very difficult and costly.

1. Firstly make an assessment of your technical expertise and experience, if you are 'self taught' it is wise to get a professional in to help you. As an IT business during a year we see this across many sites and we get to know our clients which makes it easier to help.

2. Make a log of the outages and duration,  confirm this by checking your router stats.

3. Create a dialogue with your Broadband supplier (this is where a professional will avoid being fobbed off without getting mad).

The key to this is to have good evidence and build a clear dialogue with the supplier, keep a record of each time you raise the fault with the supplier and always ask them for the call reference. 

On one occasion I dealt with this problem for a client where the supplier (PostOffice) would not/could not resolve the problem and switching suppliers was the only route. The reason switching worked was that the new supplier was prepared to have BT out to replace the local cable. The downside was that the client was off-line for 3 weeks whilst this was sorted out, during that time they were dependent on using a 3G connection. 

Hope that helps.

Rick

KS Computing

This Thread is now closed for comments