New visual layout - thumbs up or thumbs down?

By : Administrator
Published 22nd July 2016 |
Read latest comment - 27th September 2016

We have been working on our long awaited site rebuild behind the scenes for some time now, which has really been centred around the database, searching, speed and functionality. 

Now it's time to start looking at the visual and presentation of the new site.

Our first aim is to get away from the dated fixed width template which we currently have, and replace our separate mobile and desktop sites with a single responsive site. Visually, everything will be larger and clearer. 

Our second aim is move away from the current cluttered look and feel of the directory, while allowing more functionality, a much better URL structure for Google, whilst implementing our new database search.

I've got a couple of screen shots, the first is a directory search results page, and the second is the forum home page. I don't really want to tinker with the forum, so it will just be larger font, but will scale to your browser or phone. But we are going with a big and bold logo and name versus the current look. You can select each image to see a bigger version:

Bottom half of the search results page - big header disappears but search bar remains.

Footer is just a test at the moment.

Then below is forum home page with new header.

Obviously these are just images, so the page will be centred and fill your screen.

But honest thoughts? Does it make your eyes bleed, does it look ok, or do you prefer the current site?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Maybe I'm missing something........... but I ain't got a flipping clue what your on about all looks the same to me All I know is, is that out of lets say one billion websites out in cyberspace yours is the only one where I have to open firefox to read anything otherwise it just comes up as the mobile website..... ever since the last revamp, not even sure I find it annoying anymore, obviously other sites have mobile sites and i don't have a problem with anything else...

Thanks,
Barney

lol I forgot about your firefox issue. Still no idea why  Well that should be consigned to history as their will only be 1 site. But if I can get the Barney seal of approval then that's good enough for me 

Steve Richardson

Just logged on for the first time in a few weeks and as i can only get on at home via firefox, it didn't allow me at first as the websites owner certificate of whatever is apparently out of date... i had to tick a box an advanced box on firefox to allow me to come on the site as it just kept auto blocking.... And even now I'm on here there is a display box saying 'insecure connection'...

Thanks,
Barney

Hi Barney, ta for the feedback.

To say we have had some challenges is an understatement and the whole project is now scheduled to go live in November, touch wood and with a fair breeze 

Your Firefox issue though is baffling, so determined to get to the bottom of it as we can't replicate it. 

Gone through our logs and we can see plenty of visitors landing and navigating the forum using firefox browsers.

According to our Google Analytics, here are the top 50 different Firefox versions that visited the forum over the last 30 days (didn't realise there were that many versions!)

Is your firefox one of those versions? You can find your browser version by selecting the About Firefox.

The only other things we can think of, as an old time forum member, I wonder if you are landing on the forum from an old mylocalforums.com bookmark, from when the forum used to be on it's own site.

I wonder if you are you trying to connect to a https version of the old URL? eg like the image below? As this has no certificate, so will report as not secure.

Or are you landing on this URL, our non secure version of the site?

This should load without any problems, and we haven't got any reported cases of issues, but keen to know if this is the URL you are having problems with.

When the new site goes live, all URLs will become secure, and everything will be redirected to https://www.mylocalservices.co.uk

So firefox should show a secure connection, but for unlogged in users, the Google Adsense units do trigger a tracking protection alert. Is this what you are seeing?

This is an ongoing issue for lots of sites as we slide into an adblocker standards battle.

The only other thing I can think of is if you access the forum from a mobile device, which is: m.mylocalservices.co.uk

This again should currently work with or without https, but will be dropped when the new site is launched as the separate mobile site is getting axed.

So does any of that shed any light Barney?

If not, can you upload a screenshot to this post (or email us at info@mylocalservices.co.uk) so we can see exactly what the issue is.

If anyone else is viewing from a firefox browser and experiencing problems, please let us know as we are struggling to replicate the problem.

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments