Morrisons Meal Deal Con

By : Administrator
Published 6th June 2017 |
Read latest comment - 13th June 2017

When a Morrisons meal deal isn't what it claims to be.

Is con too harsh? I was going to say scam but thought maybe that was going too far. Maybe incompetence is the correct term?

For some bizarre reason the Morrisons £3 meal deal fails to work at the self service tills for some of the options. Maybe this is a glitch with one particular branch? In this case it is the Stratford-upon-Avon store. I have raised it with customer services and flagged it with it so many staff over the last six months it's almost embarrassing to go in. A lot of staff are sympathetic, they concede it's an ongoing problem, head office have been informed and it's frustrating for both consumers and staff.

A few staff have tried telling me it's my fault, ie I have picked up the wrong items which aren't part of the meal deal. After explaining that I had only selected items from the clearly marked meal deal shelves, I have been told that maybe I was mistaken, some crisps were put there by accident and by my diet Pepsi was no longer part of the promotion.

But after six months of persistence and maybe a contender for the worlds most devoted and patient Morrisons customer, yesterday finally forced me to digital action. After yet another meal deal failure on the self scan checkout, the assistant came over and informed me my crisps weren't part of the promotion. When I patiently explained they were and this was a regular occurrence, the young girl in question insisted they weren't, walked over to a crisp counter, grabbed a smaller bag and different flavour of crisps and said have these instead. 

10/10 for ingenuity, but I didn't want her choice, I wanted the clearly marked meal deal item. After a short discussion with my patience and goodwill disappearing quickly, the assistant finally agreed, over-rode the code and began the familiar game of trying to work out how much to take off to bring the balance to £3.

Another assistant who overheard our discussion and was very sympathetic suggested I document the episode, take some pictures and contact Morrisons customer service on Social Media as the message clearly isn't getting through. 

So here we go Morrisons Customer Service...

Exhibit A - The Meal Deal Choice

Exhibit B - A meal deal combination that clearly doesn't work. I suspect it's the Max crisps, but replace salad for sarnie and you get the same result. Likewise water for coke.

Exhibit C - No £3 meal deal for you fat lad!

Summary

I think the choices for the Morrisons Meal Deal is fantastic, otherwise I wouldn't put myself through this grief on a regular basis. You can't argue the value for £3. But if elements aren't supposed to be in the deal, then take them out!

Is it really that complicated  Why has this been an issue for so long? Is there a lack of communication between store and head office?

• Am I alone in this issue or do others have the same problems at different stores?
  • How many people don't even realise they have been overcharged?
  • Will Morrisons respond and more importantly fix it! If they add any responses on SM I'll paste them below.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Did you try to contact them on social media? You tend to get a better customer service there!

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

Did you try to contact them on social media? You tend to get a better customer service there!”

Genuinely surprised, radio silence  Looks like they really aren't that fussed about ropey meal deals!

Did get a retweet though 

Shall see if I get any response tomorrow...

Steve Richardson

Well nothing from Morrisons customer service, but at least my meal deal went through this morning.

So I maybe politically grumpy, but at least I've got a spicy chicken baguette for dinner  

Steve Richardson

We don't have any near our house so to be honest I always go to the shop I know which is Sainsbury ,their chicken burger from the hot deli is to die for lol

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I think.....you have way too much time on your hands and too much money if you buy lunch every day from a supermarket. Hahaha.  However, I would be equally annoyed if I was you and this is exactly the kind of thing that I would be LIVID about! I hope they pull their finger out on Twitter. 

I think.....you have way too much time on your hands and too much money if you buy lunch every day from a supermarket. Hahaha.  However, I would be equally annoyed if I was you and this is exactly the kind of thing that I would be LIVID about! I hope they pull their finger out on Twitter. ”

Not every day, but nice to have an occasional treat after the trauma of the school run  

Was hoping for a response, but Morrison's have obviously misunderstood the social element of social media 

Steve Richardson

Aha, I stand corrected 

Not the lifetime supply of meal deals I was hoping for, but a warm cosy feeling none the less

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments