If anyone thinks guns are great, look at this picture

By : Administrator
Published 26th May 2022 |
Read latest comment - 6th June 2022

Nineteen young kids and their two brave teachers were massacred by a gun-toting 18 year old idiot, at Robb Elementary School in Texas.

Below is a picture of the class with their teachers a month before it happened. This could be any class in any school in the world. Apparently only one of the kids in the picture survived.

It's not often I get upset with a news story, maybe it's having kids at a similar age. But it absolutely breaks your heart. 

Image courtesy of Natalie Arias Twitter account.

I genuinely do not understand the American obsession with guns and their insistence to stand by their Second Amendment from 1791: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Surely an "amendment" can be amended and brought into the 21st Century? In 2022, who exactly are gun-carrying Americans protecting themselves from, other than other gun-carrying Americans? 

All societies evolve and views change. The UK has plenty to be ashamed of with historical hindsight, but we have moved forward, with attitudes, mindsets, and laws have changed or been created to reflect this. We haven't finished, we are still evolving and we haven't got everything right.

The argument from the powerful US gun lobbies and pro-gun groups is the need for self-protection, and guns help save lives. Yet looking at the stats, (which vary from source to source), according to Trace.org, in 2021, there were 20,726 gun-related deaths, excluding suicides.

Over 20,000 people a year dying from a preventable reason. Or 55 people a day! 

The American gun lobbies may be all powerful, but I'm sure if there was enough will amongst the general population, then things could change. Maybe those wavering or sitting on the fence will see this image which is all over social media, and make them think, or even better act.

Or do they need to see more images and read more headlines before it slowly sinks in?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Deleted my post

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Deleted my post”

Didn't see it Andy. But stuff like this cites a variety of emotions. From an outpouring of sympathy and noises to things need to change, to accusations of wokeness and it is all liberal hype to harm gun-loving users and suppress their rights.

But for normal rational people, few words are needed...

Steve Richardson

It does which is why I deleted it lol, but here goes

I am pro gun. I have been since I was first allowed to shoot with my Dad. Got my own 9mm when I was about 19.. Went o see the Police for my test and soon got my license. Apart from weekly range practice I carried it for work as as you can image Africa is not a safe place especially when you are the only white person for miles around.I only came close to using it once but chose flight (just imagine south London and a huge gang of 100 or so gangsters coming your way).

That being said I don't like the USA way of getting any gun. I think you should be vetted first and shown you are capable to carry. Also a weapon should always be a last resort and even then think twice 

Also being in the army (conscripted and wasn't happy about it)at 17 I shot a vast range of weapons and was taught to respect any weapon

**Still don't know if I should delete it **

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I think you should be vetted first and shown you are capable to carry. … 

Problem with vetting in that it is only valid on the day you are cleared. Like an MOT problems can arise soon after you get your certificate. An individual who had access to a gun whilst experiencing an emotional breakdown is dangerous. How can you mitigate or diminish that risk? In addition I am told there are 1.2 guns for every man woman and child in America so you could argue that not carrying a gun is dangerous! No easy fix to this problem. Very difficult dilemma and very sad situation

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

Also being in the army (conscripted and wasn't happy about it)at 17 I shot a vast range of weapons and was taught to respect any weapon”

I completely understand the need for protection in countries where adequate law and order isn't in place. There's also nothing wrong with being pro-gun, or maybe a gun enthusiast is a better way of putting it. In the UK, for people who enjoy shooting, we have a variety of clubs and activities from clay pigeon shooting to pistol and rifle target shooting.

For those particularly aggressive squirrels, then farmers can apply for shotgun licenses. But it's all controlled. You could never imagine a civilian strutting around the UK with a semi-automatic rifle, the idea just sounds ridiculous. 

Like yourself, me along with millions of Brits over the years have had military training, from SMG's, rifles, pistols and general purpose machine guns. You are taught to treat weapons with respect, never point a weapon in jest and the training is so embedded I bet I could remember all the drills from over 20 years ago. Brits that have been exposed to weapons see them just as tools to do a job, and when that job finishes, the tools are left behind.

Not once since leaving did I think I need to get a gun for home defence, or my life isn't complete unless I have a rifle. Maybe it's just a cultural thing, for us, our national obsession is (or was) with alcohol rather than weapons, which is a different topic!

The sad thing is, unsurprisingly there have been more shootings since I first posted this, and this one will disappear into history. After all the words of condemnation, nothing happens and nothing changes. American society isn't ready yet to act. 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments