To mask or not to mask, that is the question...

By : Forum Moderator
Published 24th July 2020 |
Read latest comment - 29th December 2020

From today (24th July) it's now mandatory to wear face coverings in shops or when collecting takeaway food and drink in England.

The outcry when this was announced last week was huge on social media. People saying it's far too late, as a lot of countries wore masks from the start, upset that things have gone from starting to go back to normal into another big change.

It's a lot to get used to. Despite many just saying we should get on with it. Everyone can agree masks aren't pleasant to wear that's for sure, and I can't help but think this will be the final nail in the high street's coffin.

Shopping will become even less comfortable (it's already not great with queues, plastic shields in place and cleaning your trolley etc.) So I predict less people will spend unless it's a necessity.

Which would be unfortunate as the government document about bringing in masks clearly stated it was to benefit shops so people felt safer to go into them.

There's also been a number of big brands that have said they won't be enforcing masks. Sainsbury's and Coop are two of them. 

There are exemptions if you're under 11, have breathing difficulties or a disability. Imagine trying to lipread if you're deaf... And please don't put them on young children as it's dangerous.

But perhaps the masks are here to try and lessen the impact of the winter and the usual flu plus the predicted resurgence of Covid-19. If we're used to it now more people will be doing it by then.

Or perhaps the government paid a lot of money to companies that make masks and they are now trying to help them sell them all.

Whatever your view, are you going to be wearing a mask to the shops this weekend? Personally I've moved all my shopping online. 

Comments

Wearing of masks is a good thing despite all the negativity and saying they don't work etc etc. In fact they should be enforced anywhere in a public place. I personally hate wearing them but do so for my health and other peoples. Take for example 2 Saturdays ago a F g female coughed in my face I almost wanted to smack her ... But I had to wait to see if I was OK. Also yes I know it isn't 100% but it does cut down the chance

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Wearing of masks is a good thing despite all the negativity and saying they don't work etc etc. In fact they should be enforced anywhere in a public place. I personally hate wearing them but do so for my health and other peoples. Take for example 2 Saturdays ago a F g female coughed in my face I almost wanted to smack her ... But I had to wait to see if I was OK. Also yes I know it isn't 100% but it does cut down the chance”

Coughed in your face? Sounds like people need some lessons in being a normal polite human being!  

Yeah I know , she didn't make any attempt to put her hand up or even bother to apologize, I was so stunned she would do that 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Yeah I know , she didn't make any attempt to put her hand up or even bother to apologize, I was so stunned she would do that ”

I think some people are just totally oblivious to the whole situation! 

Masks do not allow you to infect other people, but they do not save you if you are healthy

Thanks,
Dooi

Everyone needs to be compliant, better to be on the side of caution than to just dismiss as being a waste of time..... obviously if you have some sort of scientific evidence that face coverings don’t work then that’s different..... however I take great pleasure in people watching, and seeing the smoke that’s excreted from smokers and vapers lungs in public areas..... it travels quite a distance usually followed by a cough and a splutter.... currently I don’t believe anyone knows enough on this virus, especially on the transmission of it..... I never knew we had so many professors in this country, but we do and they’re all offering different sound bites....... Better to protect yourself and family, than take a stupid risk...

Thanks,
Barney

I saw this the other day and it completely cracked me up... But the principle is correct

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Hahahaha. But if you put the trousers on your chin afterwards you will end up pee in your mouth. 

Pity you can't have funny faces on the thank you tab as well

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments