Awareness of Cloud Computing continues to increase

By Cloud4 : Growing Business
Published 13th September 2010 | Last comment 10th December 2010
Comments
Good thread and discussion... I found the wikipedia article interesting on it too.. Cloud computing

See how wikipedia badges it:
"Cloud computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices on demand, like the electricity grid."

So in that context, its similiar to what I was saying, if one part goes down, another will take over, just like the electricity grid. You may lose a nearby electricity pilon, but you still get electricity.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Exactly right Steve! Cloud is simply the latest buzz word which seems to have stuck for a concept thats been around for a few years but like everything, started off as the exclusive property of the corperates who had the money, and has through (possibly the most rapid improvements in technology ever seem in the last 3 years) filtered through to right down to the SME as a genuine low cost, high productivity method of bringing big business functionality to small businesses.

Interestingly we are seeing this effect bounce with corporates when it comes to hosted exchange for example.. If you are a corporate running a 2003 exchange and are overdue an upgrade to 2007 then the case for hosted is almost to good to pass up. For example we recently brought a new client onto our hosted exchange with 300 mailboxes, the client did their own return on investment analysis.. The saving was

Cloud4

Here's an interesting take on the Cloud model.

Microsoft's trialling a new product called Windows Intune. Its aimed at small to medium businesses that have a mobile workforce, that may stay away from your own network, so may not get things like AV updates, patches etc.

"By subscribing to the service, they receive cloud management and malware protection, plus upgrades to Windows 7 Enterprise (and future versions) - all in one monthly subscription. It gives them a simple, low-cost way to manage and secure their PCs - allowing both systems and employees to perform at their very best. It solves administration problems like:

* Patch and antivirus management
* Troubleshooting and problem-solving
* Centralised control over patches and security updates
* Monitoring what

Steve Richardson

An old thread yes! but..

Steve, just to pick up on the above on our Virtual Private Cloud.. We're put the launch date back to Jan/Feb 2011, mainly due to the speed at which some of the other services have shot up, exchange primarily.

Also because we just wanted to develop it to a slightly higher level pre launch and not do an Apple, and have our first adopters pay to develop the solution.

We've got a number of beta testers using the solution and it's brilliant but we want to do some more work on the config tool.

Cheers

Cloud4

Steve, just to pick up on the above on our Virtual Private Cloud.. We're put the launch date back to Jan/Feb 2011, mainly due to the speed at which some of the other services have shot up, exchange primarily....

and I thought you'd forgotten me

Glad to hear biz is booming!

Steve Richardson

Haha, the worlds gone mad Steve! We've completed the migration to the hosted 2010 exchange platform over the weekend - 10'000 users, no sleep and no interuption to service for any mailbox - Except mine! Most upset at that haha.

VPC should be live by end of the finncial year, other services online by then though keep eyes on the website as Xmas approaches. (no we're not going to be selling santa hats lol)

Cloud4

forum avatarmsslasers56
27th November 2010 4:04 AM
Cloud is here to stay. I am already using them -- like what virtual mary is not doing -- working over Google Docs on some of the documents. I felt a little trap by it really because I was just at first testing it and felt good at the 'novelty' at that time.

Over time, I didn't realize I have some documents over google docs that I using quite often -- not to mention the web mails and all.

Besides, antivirus clouds keep poping now and then -- had some experience with the free one: panda cloud and Clam AV --

Then again -- that's how far I could get as cloud and internet and work is concern.

Just love wikipedia! If you want to know something take the google train to wikipedia land and its all there!

Cloud4

@Msslasers - what is it I'm not doing?

@cloud4 - taking the Google train to Wikipedia land is a good starting point as long as you also pop some time in your itinerary to head on down to Reference City.

Although I do like it when an infinite loop happens. A lazy "proper" journalist gleans some sadly less-than-true facts from a wikipedia article and publishes them in his column in an established and "respectable" print newspaper. By wikipedia's own definitions, something published in such a newspaper (by a bona-fide paid journalist whose job is to find and check facts before publication) can be taken as True, and the newspaper article can be cited as a reference when verifying the information on the wiki page. Therefore there is a proper reference to "prove" that the hoax information is by definition Truth!

VirtuallyMary

forum avatarmsslasers56
10th December 2010 8:28 AM
@Msslasers - what is it I'm not doing?

Working at/in/on Google Docs.

Or I understand it wrong.

This Thread is now closed for comments