HP to stop making computers!

By sjr4x4 : Administrator
Published 19th August 2011 | Last comment 12th October 2011
Comments
Looks like this thread has generated some interest, have seen a spike in traffic over the last few days with this thread as the entry point!

Google Search - HP to stop making computers

Not surprised, that's quite big news.

Ryan

A little surprised as felt as HP made pretty decent laptop computers. Hope their strategy when fully reveiled will work our for the them.

Accounting Help

forum avatarGuest
23rd August 2011 10:07 AM
That's very unexpected and quite sudden, I can't say I've had a HP computer myself but we used them all the time in college and school, they were very reliable.

Dell are a nightmare, the biggest problem is all their parts are made to Dell standards, so replacing them can cost silly amounts of money!

I'm genuinely stumped. Never been a fan of Dell, probably fine, but their PC's have always appeared to look cheap. That said, our hosted web and database servers have all been Dell's for the last 5 years, and never had a hardware problem.

Do like IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, but they have always been pricey for the spec, oh no, looks like I'll actually have to do some research instead of just looking at the HP site

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarGuest
23rd August 2011 11:09 AM
Do like IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, but they have always been pricey for the spec, oh no, looks like I'll actually have to do some research instead of just looking at the HP site

I would suggest some others, Advent & Packard Bell are both good choices in computers, my home PC is Advent and works like a charm, although it is a very high spec and custom parts have been added so I can't say it was entirely Advent.
the work PC is Packard Bell, which is good make and to be honest it has been fantastic so far, no issues at all, very quiet and very good performance!

Dell have always been unreliable for me but I'm sure that other people have had better experiences with them, myself I had 2 Dell Pc's within a few months because the hardware kept fizzing and going boom. I also had a dell handheld device thingy, I think it was an old style tablet which lasted around 4minutes after turning it on.

I think this will be a very bad move.

Lets all stop what we know and do well sell everything and buy something we don't know so much about....

Because the current market is tough.

Seems like a disaster in the making.

highlandspring

Hp are pretty good when it comes to printing. I never had a HP PC so can't say about that really.

Paul Green

HP Pc's are pretty good. As far as I am aware they sell more than Dell.

Ryan

forum avatark925 Pet Services
29th August 2011 7:51 PM
I have a HP laptop, only 2 months old with a 3 year guarantee - do you think they'll have a huge stock of spares etc and then just move over to replacing with competitor brands if need be?

I have a HP laptop, only 2 months old with a 3 year guarantee - do you think they'll have a huge stock of spares etc and then just move over to replacing with competitor brands if need be?

I don't think you will struggle for HP spares for some time. The chances are it will be taken over by another company (my guess).

Ryan

This Thread is now closed for comments