Will HMV be able to change direction? 12 month update - HMV calls in administrators

By sjr4x4 : Administrator
Published 9th January 2012 | Last comment 11th April 2013
Comments
I can't remember a time when I actually bought a CD never mind bought from HMV. I download everything nowadays and I think this is going to be the way forward. It's also cheaper as there are no overheads of printing etc... Blackbusters are the same

when movies were expensive (

Thanks,
Barney

I suppose that, given time as more and more SEO companies enter the market prices will begin to plummet as one company tries to outbid another. I wonder as to whether you'd be of the same view then?

It already happens - we have had a lot of competition from people charging a silly amount - usually under

shaneparkins

I found the worst bit of BlockBusters was having to take the thing back the next day after you'd watched it!

neil@camisonline

The next company I predict to go under would be WH Smiths

Yup that sadly seems to be the consensus. They seem to be at the Woolworths stage, what actually are they?

I found the worst bit of BlockBusters was having to take the thing back the next day after you'd watched it!

lol Agreed, lost count of the number of fines I paid over the years!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I always thought that BlockBuster entered a saturated market in the UK as there were tons of small video shops in the 80's, but they came with more videos than anyone else and you didn't need to book to watch the latest films.

The bad thing about BlockBusters was that they were far better at fines than Brenda's local video shop, I always went with the excuse of putting it in the drop box everytime!

Why they didnt try and get into streaming sooner, I don't know; they must of already had the relationships in place with the major distributors.

neil@camisonline

The administrators of HMV have said that 66 of the music and DVD retailer's stores will close over the next two months.

The affected stores employ 930 staff, Deloitte said. Last week, it was confirmed that about 190 jobs had been shed across HMV's head office and distribution network.

BBC News - HMV announces 66 store closures

So the restructuring begins to see if HMV stands a chance of surviving as a bricks and mortar retailer... fingers crossed

Steve Richardson

Collapsed music and DVD retailer HMV is to close a further 37 stores leading to the loss of 464 jobs, administrators Deloitte have said.

BBC News - HMV to close 37 more stores in UK

wont be much left to salvage at this rate

Steve Richardson

Hilco to the rescue. Let's hope it all works out as well as it has for HMV's Canadian business.

HMV Rescue: Hilco Deal To Save Jobs And Shops

Holborn Direct Mail
020 8683 7155

I think it's a shame about all these big names going under, but like was mentioned above when do we go into these shops?.

I personally think a lot more shops will be joining as most people don't have time to shop, and mostly do things online.

Slough Business

Moved to Great Yarmouth 18 months ago, so surprised in that time how many big shops we have lost, probably more will go in time, not that there is that many shops there in any case.

norfolksuffolknannies

This Thread is now closed for comments