DMOZ Submission

By : Business Start Up
Published 1st August 2012 |
Read latest comment - 7th June 2013

Hi,
I have submitted my site named logiseek in dmoz but till now it has not been listed out there can anyone help me on this?

logiseek
Comments
How long ago did you list it?

It seems to take on average 3 - 6 months to get approved, if you get approved at all!!!

Here's a good thread about the DMOZ, it's a little old but still relevant.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Whether your site is actually any good or not will often determine if/when it gets listed.

Dmoz is something you just fire quality sites at and forget.
If you discover a Dmoz link in your backlinks it's a blessing, but I wouldn't bother checking it every week or anything.

FreelanceScribbler

DMOZ is a virtually a dead service in my opinion. As far as I understand is no longer valued by Google (Mention of DMOZ & Yahoo directory was dropped from Google Webmaster guidelines at least a year ago) I have not heard of any one getting successfully listed for around 2 years.

Don't loose sleep over it.

AlanF

DMOZ is a virtually a dead service in my opinion. As far as I understand is no longer valued by Google (Mention of DMOZ & Yahoo directory was dropped from Google Webmaster guidelines at least a year ago) I have not heard of any one getting successfully listed for around 2 years.

I'd tend to agree on DMOZ - seems like a total waste of time as nothing seems to get listed, but I still find myself strangely drawn to submit regardless!

On the Yahoo front - this is still worthwhile. I ran some tests a couple of months back, which I think I put in another post on the forum.

Anyway, I basically submitted one site to the directory and performed no other work, and omitted a very similar site from the directory whilst doing other work.

Measured the results over a period of time, and the site with the Yahoo listing did well, increase in in both PA and DA, whilst the other site with ongoing 'SEO' work, stayed static.

I've since done this a few more times, with similar results - the site with the Yahoo listing performing better.

Paul Myers

Thanks, interesting. I guess the difficult question is whether the extra performance is worth the $299 per year fee. For some sites this will be a no brainier, for others it is not so clear.

AlanF

I mod several sections on dMoz. If anyone needs any sport related websites adding, PM me. I'll either be able to do it myself, or be able to get you in to another section quite quick.

But... I tend to agree, I think dMoz is just a big white elephant these days.

One thing I would say; for those finding it seems to take a long time until you get your site in, if at all, it could well be because:
a) No mod for that section
b) You've tried to sell the site, withing the text/description
c) Just not clearly read the guidelines
e) Spelling!
f) WRONG category - if you categories wrongly, it gets passed from one mod to another (if they can be bothered - but I've seen mods, in the mods forums note that they've DELETED rather than move just purely because they didn't know they could do this.

himynameisjohn

In fact is not a dead service...it was a suscces with this....[removed] ,

soo watch and learn....succes .

mikey

I also submitted my website on Dmoz before 1.7 months ago but my website is not listed till now.

PioneerGlobal

Dmoz listing is not so easy. its my personal experience that, i submitted two of my website that was PR 1 and other was 3 PR. the website with 3PR was approved after 4 months as well as the other one with PR 1 is still not approved.

angelajason06

This Thread is now closed for comments