How safe is your domain?

By : Administrator
Published 27th March 2013 |
Read latest comment - 22nd April 2013

Came across this today:

300 UK domains pilfered, MASSIVE security lapse blamed
What appears to be a glaringly obvious security hole has been blamed for the snatching of 300 domains hosted by one web-hosting firm last year...

Scary stuff, from a so called old timer in the hosting and domain world. Just adds fuel to the fire of internet security arguments...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
At the end of the day, it's all a bunch of coding so these things are always going to happen.

I dont think anything is safe online, and as good quality website security is so expensive i think the best we can do is not hold sensitive information.

UK US Marketing

At the end of the day, it's all a bunch of coding so these things are always going to happen.

I think it's the alleged ease of the exploit (and the fact I've got domains with them )

anyone with a hosting package from 123-Reg, and hence an account control panel, simply had to change the final section of the URL manually (to, for example, /someoneelseswebsite.co.uk) to be able to gain access to another site's emails, name servers and billing

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

A bit late on reading this...but just saw today that WordPress sites are being hacked. Allegedly approximately 90K IP addresses are being used to brute force hack the admin password. thumbsdown

Scintillion

Heard of someone who lost their domain when the registrar invoked some late payment clause or similar - even thought the person wasn't warned.
Very unfair to be honest and I suspect some dubious registrars try to take advantage of folks.

mattjonesits

This Thread is now closed for comments