Qype is no more! Hello Yelp

By : Administrator
Published 31st October 2012 |
Read latest comment - 2nd January 2013

Well we had heard mumblings on the grapevine for ages, but only just found out that Qype has been bought out by Yelp for $50 million.

News Release | Investor Relations | Yelp

So sweep stake as to how long before Qype is rebranded as Yelp and Qype disappears completely...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
Never heard of Qype here in the states. But Yelp is pretty much the dominant "review" type site that most people have heard of around here.

Malok

I like Yelp, seems that the people on that site who write reviews are real and not business owners..

Thanks,
Barney

Often that's the biggest worry.
But businesses really do need to come up with a way of incentivising reviews from their customers.

FreelanceScribbler

Never heard of Qype here in the states. But Yelp is pretty much the dominant "review" type site that most people have heard of around here.

Yelp seemed to struggle to break into Europe for some reason, which is why Qype was a good fit, which dominates the review scene in places like France and Germany, and has a strong presence in the UK.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Yelp will very much become the ultimate choice for local search in the European Markets. The plans are to 'integrate both products', I'm sure this means Qype will be rebranded as Yelp

YCO

A few of my dads websites are listed on qype, but the calls we had to go through to get them listed, we had about 5 calls asking us if we wanted a premium listing, after the 5th we told them we don't want any more calls, and they stopped.

coventryandwarwickshireseoandweb

The plans are to 'integrate both products', I'm sure this means Qype will be rebranded as Yelp

oh dear

Thanks,
Barney

thanks for the update.
Hope it can keep running as two instead of one. Qype.co.uk is more popular and active than Yelp in Edinburgh, at least for small business. It brought traffic to some websites I developed. Supposedly, it's the reason it was bought. Kind of loss from SEO point of view.

Thanks,
Design promote

This Thread is now closed for comments