Does Anyone Care About Bing?

By : SEO
Published 9th February 2016 |
Read latest comment - 15th September 2016

I'm looking for a few non online marketers to see if they've ever even thought about anything other than Google when it comes to SEO or PPC? 

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant
Comments

Hi Tom

Dont know if i am talking out of turn, but did take a call yesterday from a company that was doing citations on behalf of Bing.

Reason i am saying anything is that i tried to place our sister company into their categories but was told in no certain terms that ALL of their categories were Americanized. 

Ok i accept that they are owned by Microsoft and that they are an American based company etc, but surely if they want to take on Google they can't be as narrow minded and expect everyone outside the USA to adopt their categories.

Soooo, on that basis why would a UK based company bother with Bing?

Clive

Hi Clive, 

Didn't know this but totally agree with you. I know why they do this, but the reason is rather pathetic. 

Bing's Market share in the US isn't actually too bad I think its around 20% (or was in 2015) but in the UK their market share is terrible, about 6-7% (although it's growing) - http://www.statista.com/statistics/279850/market-share-held-by-bing-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

Personally I'd love it for Bing to grow as their algorithm is a lot easier to rank. But if you're outside of the US it's still just not worth it in my opinion, just wanted to see what everyone else thought too.

Hi Tom

Dont know if i am talking out of turn, but did take a call yesterday from a company that was doing citations on behalf of Bing.

Reason i am saying anything is that i tried to place our sister company into their categories but was told in no certain terms that ALL of their categories were Americanized. 

Ok i accept that they are owned by Microsoft and that they are an American based company etc, but surely if they want to take on Google they can't be as narrow minded and expect everyone outside the USA to adopt their categories.

Soooo, on that basis why would a UK based company bother with Bing?”

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

Just makes me think of Bing Bunny, sorry Too much cbeebies!

In my tired state I thought it was bling lol..

I use bing and keep it updated as best I can and I do get a lot of hits from it too .. I would love to find someone who is able to get the best out of these sites as I have no idea how

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Whenever I've spoken to a business owner about online marketing, it's all about Google and nothing else. To be fair they are right, we get minimal traffic from Bing, and traditionally however you market for Google works well (or even better) for Bing & Yahoo. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

It's also less competitive. My thought process is along the lines of: 10% of something small is better than 70% of F*** all. 

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

I think any competition to Google can only be a good thing.

Google are a forward thinking Global company though that seems to be able to handle anything that is thrown at it.

Can you honestly say the same for Bing or Yahoo?

Clive

That's how I think lol something is better than nothing .. I just love Bings back end settings , it is easy to navigate and change things where as googles is like a minefield .unless it's changed

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

In a test about 3 years ago people "preferred" Bing's results that were displayed. But Google has just stolen the market. Similar to Coke and Pepsi in a way. Blind taste "sip" test people prefer Pepsi, yet when it comes to the whole can/bottle Coke is the leader. Same with Google and Bing. Bing is good for 1 search but if you had to choose between either search engine for life then its obvious. 

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

This Thread is now closed for comments