Irish Troubles!

By : Forum Member
Published 17th November 2016 |
Read latest comment - 22nd November 2016

Who knew Ireland was so expensive! We've all heard of the troubles, but it's not until you actually visit and its coming out of your own pocket that you realise just how expensive it really is 

Don't get me wrong after recently spending a weekend in Dublin; I enjoyed every second of being a tourist and exploring such a beautiful city however its no surprise the amount of homeless living in cold conditions on the streets. Eight euros for a pint of cider, and about three euros for a glass of water- its ridiculous. I'm not an alcoholic or anything and it's not just the price of alcoholic drinks that is expensive, but obviously exploring a new city it is only common courtesy to taste the different beverages they have to offer.

" Make sure you don't get ripped off by Taxi Drivers in the centre, they will hear you are not from around here and try to rip you off" says the Taxi driver who then proceeds to charge us 40 euros from the airport to the hotel.

*Saves 40 euros for the taxi back to the airport two days later*

"That'll be 23 euros then please my darling" says a different taxi driver that transports us back to the airport for the return flight home.

Its crazy, you have to be so careful you are not being ripped off just because of your accent in a foreign country- it is unbelievable how something so little can effect how much you pay. They just take advantage of the fact you are at a disadvantage of not really knowing your surroundings.  

My advice is- pretend you know what you are talking about and be careful if ever visiting the city of Dublin. Whether it being because we were two young girls or just because we were British- that we will never know!!

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team
Comments

Rachael

It's down to a number of things.  The value of the Euro being a key factor.

Being fleeced by taxi drivers is common wherever you are, as you discovered not all of them are doing it and it usually happens on arrival because you're seen as being "easy pickings" (keen to get to hotel, etc).  On a business trip to Edinburgh I was advised to use the Airport bus, at the time it was £7.00 return against £20 each way in a taxi.  Taxi drivers in Cyprus were the best I encountered at charging widely varying fares for the same journey.   They even blockaded the airport when a bus service started.......

Yes, as two girls travelling together it's more common but don't be afraid to ask the fare before you get in or use a regular airport bus service.  The only place I haven't been ripped off was in Barbados, possibly because they respect their tourists more than some other destinations.

JuliaP

Its terrible isn't it, being a young girl with minimal experiences it's so nice to be able to be warned by more experienced people like yourself. At least I will know next time. Nothing a good rant can't solve haha 

thank you!!

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

Sadly doesn't matter which country...was in London Kew gardens a couple of years ago really hot summer day two young oriental girls buying  ice cream, held up a wad of notes to the guy, he took a twenty and gave no change!!!!

cheers
Jan Jan the artist man

No way! That's awful, have to be so careful you don't get ripped off. 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

I remember story about four UK tourists in Rome being charged equivalent of £54 for their icecreams.

Most common rip-off place is Venice.  If you want to pay £12 per cup of coffee then sit in the square.  Go into the back streets away from the lagoon and you can get a calzone and coffee for that price.....

JuliaP

Yes I have been to Venice and it is so expensive!! Especially Saint Marks square it is ridiculously priced 

Barcelona is the same- think it is most cities- attracts a lot of tourists worldwide so they try their best to rip you off because you are foreign. 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

This Thread is now closed for comments