forum avatar

Businesses that Aren't Yours but that You'd Recommend

By
Published 14th May 2010 |
Read latest comment - 5th May 2015

Forums are a great place for offering help and at the same time a little bit of self promotion - always good to show what you know.

However, there are businesses / people out there that aren't on forums or don't say 'we do a good job and are proud of it' so thought it would be good to start a thread where you can promote someone else for a change. Perhaps you experienced great service or found a great price? We like to vent about bad experiences, but how about some feel good stories?

Think it is important that you think outside the forum so it doesn't turn in to a bit of mutual back slapping! Unrelated to you as well and can be anything from a local builder, great shop, consultant, web designer.

Start things off, I'm going to take my hat off to a company called C2U Office, an online office stationery and equipment retailer.

I bought a new desk phone from them in December. Was the best price for the phone I wanted. Arrived less than 24 hours later. Used it for a couple of weeks but for some reason it just wasn't working correctly with my line and was getting interference from my wireless broadband. In the meantime I found an alternative that didn't have the problems.

Called up C2U Office and told them the issue. They did give me the support number for the manufacturers but it didn't resolve the problem so they asked me to pack it all back up and arranged for a courier to collect it at a suitable time from my office or home.

Was refunded completely (including delivery!) within 14 days.

They always had someone available on the phone and replied personally to emails. Tone was always friendly.

I'm renowned for being a bit grumpy and complaining (I once got an Old el Paso advert removed from the screens even when I was the one complainant!) so wanted to share a good experience for a change.

Hope to hear of some others.

Comments
Last business to really impress me was the Chesford Grange hotel/conference centre in Kenilworth, Warwickshire.

They were one of the places I visited as potential wedding venues... didn't go with them after all, as their facilities were more "conference" than "wedding", but I would absolutely recommend them to anyone planning a conference, an AGM, an awards ceremony, a Christmas party, etc.

The place was large, well-lit, felt very spacious, perfectly clean and attractively decorated... there was real wheelchair access for all areas, including nice hotel rooms... the staff I dealt with were polite and sensible and answered all my queries, nothing was too much trouble.

I felt quite horrible when I emailed to say that we'd chosen a different venue, but they just replied straight back that they wished me all the best. I was so impressed that I emailed someone a few notches up the ladder to give positive feedback about the person I'd been dealing with.

VirtuallyMary

forum avatarJohnNash
14th May 2010 2:29 PM
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Perfect example, well done Chesford Grange!

Interesting thread. At the end of the day I find it is the individual you are speaking to that makes or breaks ones view of a business. I've had experiences where I've thought a business is great one day, and then a few weeks later I've not rated it as much - simple because the person I was speaking to was not so good. I guess this is where there can be an advantage for smaller businesses as they can control more of the communications with customers at an individual level.

Though having said that it's good to read your positive review Mary.
.... there was real wheelchair access for all areas, including nice hotel rooms....

I must admit it I think the importance of wheelchair access is very often overlooked by new businesses in particular. Going off slightly on a tangent, I thought this article on BBC News about an "off-road" wheelchair was interesting - just a shame about the high price tag.

I think direct customer/business manager interaction can be an advantage or a disadvantage for the small or single-person business. On the one hand, you're entirely in control of your message. On the other hand, you're only human.

So on an average day, you go to work, you talk to your customers, you believe in your product, you are full of positivity and can-do - great!

But on a rubbish day, you're coming down with the mother of all colds, there's no one to pass the public-facing jobs off to, you can't bring yourself to just be 'closed' for the day - you do your best but the only image you can present is that of one who is auditioning to be an extra in Shaun of the Dead. Not so good.

(To follow the tangent, don't forget access isn't just about customers - everyone is only a car crash away from needing access to their own established working environment. It's also not just about wheelies (although obviously that's what I focus on in my own life). There's all sorts of impairments, physical, mental, neurological, sensory. Many of these aren't expensive or difficult to adjust for. The biggest access adjustment is in the mind - to not simply dismiss us as not worth bothering about.)

VirtuallyMary

forum avatarJohnNash
17th May 2010 9:21 AM
Interesting thread. At the end of the day I find it is the individual you are speaking to that makes or breaks ones view of a business. I've had experiences where I've thought a business is great one day, and then a few weeks later I've not rated it as much - simple because the person I was speaking to was not so good. I guess this is where there can be an advantage for smaller businesses as they can control more of the communications with customers at an individual level.

Agreed that the majority of your opinion is formed following interaction with staff, but how about an innovative product / service that you've bought / used and thought 'what a great idea' or 'that's helped improve my productivity'...?

Thought it might get people racking their brains a little.

Just saw this thread, as I missed out while I was on my hols, though't I'd give it a bump

Business I'd recommend that I have no connection with other than as a customer would have to be The Planet Hosting. Raved about them a few times, but their customer service and professionalism should be used as a model by others.

Closer to home, and may seem a bit odd, but Argos of all things.

Never really darkened their door until I got married, but the wife seems to know their catologue off by heart

Since having a sprog, we have been in and out of their for a multitude of baby gadgets and accessories, like steamers, bottle washers etc. But we had a series of duff steamers, that died after a couple of months, as well a couple of other things we had to take back, and we were never questioned, including when I forgot to bring the receipt.

Pretty good customer service, so a big thumbs up, although I've heard horror stories from other branches, so guess its down to the store manager and quality of staff maybe.

I would also rave about British Airways, Terminal 5 was a pleasure, and painless experience, the staff was exceptionally helpful, including the bus driver getting out and helping carrying our cabin baggage for us up the steps to the aircraft, as we had quite a lot of baby bits and bobs. I got the impression they do this for anyone needing assistance including disabled, elderley etc, and prob part of the Terminal 5 PR recovery plan, but hats off. Plus the cabin staff were very helpful, especially with our baby.

Then they blew it by cancelling our return flight due to industrial action. Such a shame, not being a previous fan of BA, they really won me over, but the ongoing industrial action which has dragged on for 6 months would now put me off.

Its a shame we have to rave about customer service in the UK, as it seems to be the exception not the norm, as opposed to North America, which is much more customer service orientated, and bad service is the exception.

That said, the American tip driven culture does drive us Brits potty, and the current 20% expected tip for great service seems to me very steep! My latest trip to the States introduced me to a new taxi scam I haven't seen before, 10 - 20% loading on the fare due to lots of baggage Keep your eyes open, when you spot it, just don't leave the cabbie a tip

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarJohnNash
7th June 2010 12:40 PM
Cheers for bumping this.

The British Airways one is a real shame, I suspect there are many that think the same and all the action at the moment is dragging them down. Perhaps we all got used to a service that just wasn't viable? Do we all just now want to pay a lower cost for a lesser service?

I would have never thought of Argos, but now you mention it, a good call in my eyes!

Was in New York in 2008 and I just couldn't cope with the tipping, found it mad that it was just expected. Although I like good service, I don't think I'd ever be happy to consistently pay 20% to recognise it. In my opinion if you're in a service job then you should just deliver a good service. If you pay money for a certain standard of product then that's what you get, it should be the same in service roles. Or perhaps I've watched the Mr Pink rant a few too many times...

1) Web Design London Web Designers London UK

I am really impressed with Fat Cow Media, who designed and created our website, and for all their continued work and advice on enhancing our profile.

We have asked their advice and many questions along the way; nothing is ever too much trouble, and they have always been friendly, helpful and very quick to respond and even point out issues of which we were not aware.

They are not expensive either, which is a great bonus.

2) clear polythene bags, polythene mailing bags, grip seal bags, clear plastic bags, plastic mailing bags, postal boxes, lay flat tubing, t shirt packaging, jiffy bags, self seal bags, white packing boxes, cellophane envelopes, packaging suppliers, kraf

I dealt with Lance at Transpack. Even though they are set-up for online purchasing, I received an excellent, very personal service from Lance.

Holborn Direct Mail
020 8683 7155

forum avatarJohnNash
8th June 2010 12:33 PM
Anything Transpak don't do?

Thanks for keeping it going hdm.

This Thread is now closed for comments