Businesses that Aren't Yours but that You'd Recommend

By JohnNash
Published 14th May 2010 | Last comment 5th May 2015
Comments
For anyone close to Brighton I can recommend Pen to Paper in Sydney Street, North Laines.

Great for pens, notebooks and always have a great selection of reasonably priced, high quality cards that aren't the same few design ideas regurgitated over and over - sounds like a small thing but has made my life so much easier several times in the last few weeks and always so lovely to give people a card that shows you've put a bit of thought in.

Lovely staff too.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

I can highly recommend my local independent Pet Shop, Bannerbrook Pets in Tile Hill, Coventry.

They are in their 3rd year now and are a real asset to the community. Not only do they sell a great range of products at competitive prices, but they can offer valuable advice - even if this doesn't result in a sale for them. They are always friendly and ready for a chat and are really active in the community, supporting local events. They sum up, to me, everything that is good about a local business

Thanks,
Ecokimbo

This is a tough question because there are just so many, I would definitely recommend the Princes Trust.

mysteryentry

I think it's essential we recommend others as in the long run those businesses will refer back, as we're talking about small businesses here, with small budgets, word of mouth is key to growth.

I run a small networking group in E Cornwall where we meet regularly at each others premises to better get to know each other and the businesses. It has helped so many get more sales it's amazing. It's like having your own team of marketers working for you.

So I would recommend my local B&B Keadeen in Golberdon, the florist in Callington Jane's Floral Designs, the local pub The Bulls Head, Odd Crocks vintage crockery hire, The Pixie House for hire, the local hall, Mother Mims Bake House, Clucks Corner Cakes, The Photographer, The travel agent, Community Creations gift shop, Kessenyans aromatheraphy, Bodyworx car body repairs, as you can see I could go on but we are diverse mix and that means more people are getting to know about the businesses on their doorstep and using them and referring them.

TY Ali from Callington

Callington Network

I think I would recommend most local businesses that offer a good service and the personal touch. The electrician who returns calls, that's all I ask, the carpenter who goes the extra mile, you only asked to do this but it would look better like that so I did that, no extra cost! Then came round with a hair dryer as there was a leak that would have ruined his work! The painter who didn't charge the earth and just got on with it, the plasterer who worked at the weekend......

these are the people whose numbers you pass on.

Thanks,
Pubby

Had an issue yesterday with configuring some new local email mail boxes and trying to work out the permissions (email really isn't my thing ). But we outsource our email to a company called cobweb who we've been with now for donkeys years.

They are very good, cost is peanuts and the support is excellent which is critical in this modern age and they soon had me untangled and up and running

Anyone else care to sing the praise of a non related business?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I recomend solo press for printing their quality, service and fast delivery is outstanding. so easy to work with esp if you have questions. 

Louise

Louise
CEO Resonate Media

I recommend the following businesses. 

Utility Warehouse, we pay for our gas and electric through them. I find their customer service excellent. We also have cash back cards, so every time we shop at a large number of participating retailers, we get a discount or cash back off our gas and electric bills. They also promote broadband, mainline phone service and mobiles. They guarantee to be cheaper than British Gas and BT and our regional electrical supplier. 

Wikaniko, a great company actually started by two successful Utility Warehouse Distributors. The company sell a wide range of Eco friendly, natural and organic products for the whole family, for the home and garden. I use their cleaning products. 

Neals Yard. Started using their natural and organic skin care and beauty products recently, they are produced in the UK. Fabulous products, for personal use or as gifts. The men's skin care products are a must have. They have High St shops as well as selling their line of products through Independent Distributors. 

Thanks,
abfabcards

A big 10/10 for courier company UPS today, who show that even huge companies can go the extra mile (excuse the pun!)

We were waiting for a laptop from Lenovo, and they managed to miss out the destination address on the delivery ticket

UPS driver Robby (I assume he is from the Nuneaton, Warwickshire branch) headed to Alcester regardless instead of returning the parcel, which he would be have been entitled to. Once in Alcester, he headed to the Minerva Mill Business Centre asked reception if they had any idea who we were.

Luckily that's exactly where we are, but very impressed with UPS and Clive finally gets his new laptop which should keep him quiet for a while... 

Great to see initiative and customer service are alive and well  

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Just thought I'd share a little Gem... 
We've just had some printing done with our local Prison (Which will serve clients Nationally). It's a G4S Prison, and they employ the residents gainfully in their internal business. 

As such, costs are lower than anyone else we've found due to their unique position. 

I was in a quandary whether I should pitch them - but actually, their work in providing prisoners opportunity to reform is as vital as an SME in the UK, and they are technically a business - even if they are able to undercut local & national prices.

So, here's the deal - If you have a printer local to you, support them with your business. If you require huge print jobs, or are on a deathly tight budget, speak to these people. 

Just as an example, I've just had about £300 of printing done (Vistaprint Price), for £54 - delivered. Quality is good, very good. 

To contact them: 
Printshop
Parc Prison
Bridgend

email: ParcPrintshop@uk.g4s.com

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...

This Thread is now closed for comments