Does the UK really want a 'Special Relationship' with the USA?

By : Forum Member
Published 27th January 2017 |
Read latest comment - 2nd February 2017

So today is the day Theresa May meets Donald Trump for the first time since he became the official president of the USA. She is the first world leader to actually meet Trump since the Inauguration day on January 20th. 

The meeting is said to supposedly cover defence and security challenges but also to discuss the trading between the UK and the USA post-Brexit. Theresa May has told reporters that 'she hopes to renew the 'Special relationship between Britain and America.

The question that stands is do we want to build a 'Special Relationship'? It is all good saying you want to build the relationship with America, but is it really America or is it just Trump himself?

Then again should be fear Trump if Theresa May is 'Not Afraid to Speak Frankly' to him. 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team
Comments

Can't believe I've only just got round to responding to this, work is starting to get in the way of forum waffling!

Lets face it, Trump is as mad as a box of biscuits and few people ever imagined he would be tweeting from the Whitehouse. Meanwhile we have an unelected PM who has ended up doing a job she never expected to be doing.

So on the face of it I thought her visit went really well. If I was going to be unfairly critical, she sounded very nervous delivering her speech to the senate, where as as Cameron was always a polished and accomplished speaker. 

But she forced Trump into a U Turn about NATO, putting words in his mouth saying he has given his full support to the Alliance as well as sowing the seeds for a trade deal. Very clever diplomacy and good statesmen(woman)ship. 

Any bizarre executive order Trump comes out with or brash decision can be brushed off as it's got nothing to do with Theresa May, as she rightly said, she may disagree with his policies, but it is up to him to do what he think is right for his Country.

The state visit hoohaa is comical. People are really getting themselves worked up into a frenzy. Sir Malcom Rifkind summed it up when he said a State Visit is purely the means to maximise Britains influence on a Head of State, regardless of their politics. Citing examples such as Gorbachev from Russia and the recent China State visit. Even better when rebuffing that previous US Presidents aren't normally granted a State visit until they have been in office for a few years, he said if anyone was ever in need of some advice from the Queen and pointing in the right direction it was Donald Trump

We will always be closely linked to the States by virtue of history, language, economy and population. In the same way we are with Australia and New Zealand. Lots of us have family members living or working there making for  some interesting view points and political discussions 

We may trade more value with Europe or other markets, and be geographically closer, but I think we will always see ourselves closer to the USA than say France, Portugal, Spain or anyone else on our doorstep.

Our military may be shadow of its former self, but we still punch above our weight in diplomacy and influence, at times mistakenly placed, but there all the same.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments