Internet - Serious Business. [Infographic]

By : Forum Moderator
Published 24th August 2012 |
Read latest comment - 20th October 2012

The net has really evolved a lot in the last decade. I was browsing through mashable and found this infographic, and decided to share it with you.

The internet a decade later ~ mashable

Kinda makes one think, when you look at the companies that failed during that time, how many opportunities we might have missed/passed along the way that could have been a really good venture.

What do you guys think of the infographic?

Thanks,
Dreamraven
Comments
Very good, interesting reading.

I remember patiently downloading songs, used to take about 10 - 12 mins per song, which at the time was amazing

Interesting seeing some of the business failures, always easy to be wise in hindsite. I was at IBM during the dot com bubble burst back in 2000/01 and there was a massive fall out from over inflated web real estate and unrealistic projections. Amazon was loosing massive amounts of money at the time as well, so it's easy to see why traditional businesses turned their noses up at the web and wasn't seen as "real business".

I wonder as the web is maturing, what the next 10 years will bring. Maybe an end to spam, wiser more cynical business owners who are less prone to fall for SEO/web developer claims? A bigger increase of the freemium model as people get used to having stuff for free?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

An end to spam? perhaps, but its unlikely, minimized maybe. (lol yea I'm being cynical again.) The way things are going now, I don't know, but it would be great to see search engines on equal footing perhaps, and maybe even have them get together to formulate some sort of guideline they work against, and have us work with, to level out the playing field a little.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

This is the latest idea and business trends. I like this very much and want to do this kind of business.

nashir

Hello,

I hope that we get national 4G mobile coverage very soon as it is available (but not in the UK!) AND keep up to date with advances in technology. Fast mobile broadband is the future as it will give us more independence and no more reliance on the fixed line and BT.

Personal Internet Security will be an ongoing issue and needs to be addressed. My main concern is government censorship and wanting to know what we are doing.

Andrew

andrewtomkinson

Fast mobile broadband is the future as it will give us more independence and no more reliance on the fixed line and BT.

Personal Internet Security will be an ongoing issue and needs to be addressed. My main concern is government censorship and wanting to know what we are doing.

Agreed, mobile broadband is the future. It's interesting that some Africa countries and India are leading the way with mobile commerce born from a necessity due to a lack of infrastructure. Maybe we could learn something there, I can't even get a mobile signal in my house, let alone do an eCommerce transaction!

I can't see govt censorship been a particular issue for a while. They struggle trying wade through the data that people send them voluntarily, let alone amassing any more.

That said, I'm still impressed they have actually got the passport database and the driving license database talking to each other, so you can renew your license online using your passport photo!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Same here, was in the middle of a thunderstorm last night and tried to connect my iphone to 3G. well I tried at least. Kept having to move the phone around an inch or less at a time chasing the signal or it went over to edge.... It was depressing.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

good visual that was. Surprising that they mentioned web browser in 2012 IE holds 39% whereas w3schools suggests just over 16% in July 2012.

Thanks,
fourth-monkey

Very good read. A friend and I were just discussing the evolution of the net over time. Just glancing at the popular search phrases from 10 years ago you can tell that many of the early internet users and pioneers were gamers.

Scintillion

My first searches were always tomb raider walkthroughs when I was stuck on a particular level or music. I didn't think of it as a business place until after I started working for a recruiter. it was almost like seeing the net for the first time.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

This Thread is now closed for comments