I'm back!

By : Forum Moderator
Published 13th June 2021 |
Read latest comment - 6th August 2021

I have been a bit quiet on here. 

It's been a range of reasons but one was my daughter was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) a few weeks ago 

It's all come to light due to the Lockdown really as her behaviour just got worse and worse and the lack of routine etc. Had a big effect.

We're working on strategies to help but it's a big learning curve and she still thrives at school so that's good. As long as they don't close again. Haha. 

It's also meant I'm even more determined to grow my business as I want to be able to pay for private healthcare. 

The NHS is not fit for purpose for anything chronic and the help we need just isn't there. I paid for the assessment privately and it was not that far off £2k! The NHS wait list was 2 years. 

Anyway, I apologise for my absence and I hope everyone is well and enjoying some of the freedoms like the pub. We are not there yet but I'm vaccinated and ready for some gigs!

Comments

Not a problem Rebecca, I can't talk, I'm like the Scarlett Pimpernel 

Reall sorry to hear about your daughter but I'm glad to hear you are finally getting the right support, even if you are having to pay for it yourself  

It's a tough call with the NHS, I've seen it from both sides, to amazing support when our youngest was admitted with a meningitis scare, to pretty awful geriatric care for different grandparents, and everything in between.

The majority of staff are awesome, most nurses do it as a vocation and not for the money, but there is and will never be enough budget for everything. Whoever has the awful job of deciding priorities can mean hardship or even a death sentence for some. Successive governments from all flavours have routinely interfered and meddled with the running of the NHS, wasting billions in restructures, strategies and failed IT projects. 

I think it should be 100% non-political, with an extra NHS tax paid by all, above National Insurance, £2 a month of everyone. There are around 30 million working adults. Few would miss £24 a year, which would give an extra £720 million. Make it a fiver and you've generated £1.8 billion extra. But plenty will oppose and say that's not fair, until of course they need it.

Looking forward to a meal out with the folks tomorrow and drink down the local! Normality slowly seems to be coming...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

sorry to hear about your daughter,hope you find the help you need. But you are right though, both of our Grand children have different issues and getting appointments is a nightmare with the NHS

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Thanks chaps. The summer seems to be disappearing and it's been full on with the business and children. I'm away with the Family this week but I think I need a holiday by myself after this. Haha.

And ASD isn't anything to be sorry about, it's just means get brain works differently and understanding that is half the battle in some ways. The poor NHS help is definitely something I'll accept sympathy for though!

We've actually got an amazing paediatrician who is trying her best to find us help but it's looking unlikely. 

Life and least of all parenting, is ever quite what you expect is it? 

ASD is just a label, for a grouping of common behaviours.

You know what your daughter does well. She's probably very clever, trustworthy and analytical.

You know what your daughter stuggles with. Probably chaos and busy places.

Help her develop things that work well, and overcome things that don't work well.

Her thoughts, feelings and behaviours are much more than a label.

FreeYourMindUK

You're brave and brilliant, Rebecca. Keep strong and stay positive. God bless you and your family.

redstone

This Thread is now closed for comments