Google Pagerank Update

By : Administrator
Published 3rd April 2010 |
Read latest comment - 13th May 2010

So it looks like the mighty G has done a Page rank update.

The debate to it's importance rages on and on, and we know it's a marketing gimmick, and only 1 of 100 factors that influence your sites position in googles search index...

But, reality is, the world is still obsessed by it, and we've had customers who judge us on our Pagerank, so glad that we seem to have gone up for once!

The Forums get some PR for the first time as a PR3. Thats good news for anyone who has a homepage link (friends of MLF), as this will be passed onto your own site.

My Local Services UK goes from a PR3 to a PR4 and MLS USA stays at a PR4.

So how did anyone else do, stay the same, go up/down or not bothered

If you don't have the google tool bar fitted, you can check your own PR here:
Google PageRank Checker - Check Google page rank of any web pages

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
Apparently my personal blog is 4/10. I get the impression I should feel quite pleased with that... now, if only I knew how I did it and could prepare to do the same with my business site.

VirtuallyMary

forum avatarKip FX Design
3rd April 2010 10:37 PM
Apparently my personal blog is 4/10. I get the impression I should feel quite pleased with that... now, if only I knew how I did it and could prepare to do the same with my business site.

i get an average hit of 90 a day through the month with a PR of 1, so damn right you should be chuffed! Good stuff Mary!

This is actually really interesting stuff... according to SiteMeter I average about 40-50 hits per day, which isn't that many, but I have about 20 long-term subscribers through Google friend connect which probably helps. It also looks like being linked to by the BBC helps.

It's made it that much more tempting to link personal and business, though. :s

VirtuallyMary

Oh dear, I managed a mighty 2 out of 10...par for the course right now.

Mike

bonsai passion

This is actually really interesting stuff... according to SiteMeter I average about 40-50 hits per day, which isn't that many, but I have about 20 long-term subscribers through Google friend connect which probably helps. It also looks like being linked to by the BBC helps.

It's made it that much more tempting to link personal and business, though. :s

Remember when it comes to the crunch, what really counts is visits, and for a business site, unique visits. If its egg sucking time, then tell me to wind me neck in but lots of people get blown away with hits (unless they classing hits as visits).

Worse offenders are server logs, as they include spider traffic, so can really distort the picture. Analytic packages like Googles and similar give a much realistic picture, as well as a wealth of marketing info.

On average for us, each unique visit is made up of approx 8 hits (as different components of the page load). Unfortunatley a lot of our competitors quote hits instead of visits as it's a much sexier number, and gives the illusion of high traffic

PR4 for a blog is great, and you are prob getting link juice passed on from high PR sites linking to you. But now I'm starting to sound like a PR lemming, so will shut up!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

No egg-sucking here, not even the chocolate ones... I only got sitemeter when my trolls progressed from ignorable insults to scary threats and I needed to see where they were coming from, I've never actually done any analysis of my blog.

I hadn't realised that there was a difference between visits and hits, but you're quite right - the 40-50 per day is visits, the number of page views is just under double that.

Sorry. I'm on a huge "learning is fun!" kick at the moment and you guys are just feeding it.

VirtuallyMary

forum avatarBetterTAX
5th April 2010 12:15 PM
hi all, (got here via kip... lol!)

i have become obsessed (it would seem) with page rank and SEO and keywords (ask kip!) so i just did one... got 2/10 which is good cos its been 1/10 or nothing, so hurrah!

also reading that i am in the same company as most of you here, makes me feel that maybe things are starting to look better (for me).

anyway... hope to join in more discussions, hope i can be helpful and not repeat myself elsewhere (IYKWIM!)

I get average 50 hits a day, and consdiring im in what i would call a minority product im happy with that and a page rank of 1/10.

I must admit like alot here im new to this and i would guess that 99% of the great guys on this forum are here because the made and prepared there own sites, and hopefully picking up business along the way.

So we competing against the big boys in our chosen proffesions who have the big cheque book and can get the pro's do it all for them.

So i have to say a big well done to all you guys, for the sites you created, the time and effort you have put in. We all know how many hours its takes.

I dropped down from page one of google to top of page 2, now i have moved up to 3 from bottom of page one. Im chuffed to bits. I know its the help of you guys, the forum. My competitor with the big cheque book is no where to be seen

sean

sean44mc

forum avatarMama C's Brownies
5th April 2010 8:26 PM
I ranked 1/10 but in all honesty I don't know what that means!

This Thread is now closed for comments