Motorcycle crash video released.

By : Forum Member
Published 5th September 2014 |
Read latest comment - 10th September 2014

This caught my eye on the news. A motorcyclist filmed his last ride as he collided with a car at 97mph, killing him and obliterating the car and his bike.

I will not post a link to the video as it is very graphic but if you search the MSN website then it will be on there.

I did watch the video and you can tell the biker was travelling at a ridiculous speed and over took a car just before the fatal collision. You cannot see the car that hit him until a split second before impact.

What amazes me is that the driver of the car was prosecuted earlier in the year. No doubt the Police will have other reasons for bringing the prosecution, but here are some very revealing stats i have just worked out - 

At 60 mph you are travelling at 88 feet per second (1.67% of a mile per second), at 97 mph you would be doing 142 feet per second, (or 2.7% of a mile per second) that's a whopping difference of 54 FEET per second or 1.02% of a mile per second

Certainly makes you think when you speed how much distance you travel in the blink of an eye.

Clive
Comments

pretty sobering. speed is all about adrenalin rush and sheer acceleration but showing off or riding like a dick will just kill you and maybe someone else. But car drivers need to be more educated about bikes, especially in built up areas. The number of times I see cars turn left or right without checking 

Shakester

“..... But car drivers need to be more educated about bikes, especially in built up areas. The number of times I see cars turn left or right without checking 

I really do get that Shakey, but bikers have to accept their part in driving safely too.

Only the other night i witnessed a bike getting clipped by a car - the bike had just filtered ( i think thats the right term) down a line of traffic and then pulled up, very close, to a stationary car. Next thing the car pulls away unaware of the bike (presumably in the blind spot) and pretty much knocks the biker off with the wing mirror.

Personally i blame the biker but i bet a biker would blame the car.

Totally agree that cars need to be aware of bikers but sometimes the riding style really doesn't help them to be seen and filtering in traffic, whilst legal can be massively dangerous, it only takes a gust of wind to sweep a lorry a few inches across the road .........

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments