Viruses

By : Entrepreneur
Published 7th April 2010 |
Read latest comment - 4th January 2011

Hi Guys
just a note reminding people to update there AV to the latest version and never open any attachments that may be conisder as humour or anything that is not business related.

The reason for this post is due to my end user experiencing heavy virus attacks atm. in 14yrs i have never known it so bad. it has cost my customers literally tens of thousands in lost revenue in down time due to being lack lustre over the software defense.

Stavros
Comments
Im not suggesting anyone does this, but i have no anti virus, dont bother with one as i have found the rust in them to be false.
i hasten to add that i dont have as much stuff on as you guys as mine is only for the website and emails, and a few invoices which i have copies of anyway.

but in the past, when i have had a virus, ive done the usual thing healing it. but 7 times out of 10 a windows file has gone with it, ans i cant restart my comp.

so i have now worked on the policy of not bothering, if comp crashes, i restore to factory settings.

if i think i have something i do the same. all runs great again. takes an hour or so.

but i would not suggest anyone do the same as me, it maybe a case im doing something wrong.

sean

sean44mc

forum avatarKip FX Design
8th April 2010 8:25 PM
What is this virus you speak of Stavros? I have a Mac, as you know, did you see any hankies near it? Lemsip? Antibiotics? hehe

Welcome back bro!

What is this virus you speak of Stavros? I have a Mac, as you know, did you see any hankies near it? Lemsip? Antibiotics? hehe...

Anorak, whats the latest market share for Macs? Isn't about 4%? not much of a pose factor if larry the hacker manages to infect 4 Macs and an ipod worldwide Now a decent iphone virus would certainly get people flapping, install a ropey phone app and boom!

Most (99.9%?) virus's are introduced by the end user. Passing trojans and other nasties should be picked up by your AV scanner.

As Stavros says, make sure your defintions are upto date. Put in a good AV policy for your office, software & internet usage, make sure it works and everyone understands it, then forget about it.

Any employee that opens a joke email and wipes out your accounts database, fire 'em

Im not suggesting anyone does this, but i have no anti virus, dont bother with one...

so i have now worked on the policy of not bothering, if comp crashes, i restore to factory settings.

Hmmm, time spent in wasted man hours sorting out PC from factory settings and getting back to how you like it versus buying an annual AV licence for

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarKip FX Design
8th April 2010 11:39 PM
Whats the market share for Fords? And whats the market share for Aston Martins? hehe

Anorak, whats the latest market share for Macs? Isn't about 4%? not much of a pose factor if larry the hacker manages to infect 4 Macs and an ipod worldwide Now a decent iphone virus would certainly get people flapping, install a ropey phone app and boom!

Most (99.9%?) virus's are introduced by the end user. Passing trojans and other nasties should be picked up by your AV scanner.

As Stavros says, make sure your defintions are upto date. Put in a good AV policy for your office, software & internet usage, make sure it works and everyone understands it, then forget about it.

Any employee that opens a joke email and wipes out your accounts database, fire 'em

Hmmm, time spent in wasted man hours sorting out PC from factory settings and getting back to how you like it versus buying an annual AV licence for

sean44mc

I do understand what your saying about the man hours. But found that anti virus has caused more problems in the past, with healing and taking a crutial file with it.

Your right, there are some dodgy ones out there that will happily corrupt system files and cause probs, mainly freebies which can be more trouble than they are worth!

Have been a symantec/norton fan for many years, deploying and supporting in corporate wide roll outs, and also use on my own PC. Never had any probs, and does what it says on the tin.

With the malware and rubbish floating around these days, I'd be nervous doing any secure transaction stuff on an unprotected machine, but then I am a bit paranoid

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

The last pc I had to rebuild started with 13 viruses I neuked a load and they kept multiplying at the end there were 18 viruses.

I plugged it into my test rig and my symantec AV picked up the viruses and neuked them all as they tried to spread.

I decided that the machine was too badly infected to try and recover any data and scratched and rebuilt it.

The coders are getting smarter and smarter on the virus front. I had a pc with an smtp spam virus recently and everytime the av fired up it went stealth I had to scratch the machine in the end as it just kept reinfecting itself.

Stavros

forum avatarComplexComputers
24th September 2010 4:30 AM
If you don't have anti-virus or syware protection on your machine even for browsing the web, you will find that any information you have on that machine will get spread through the internet, viruses can gather information from your computer and send it to other people on the net, and obviously spyware is as it states.

Viruses can also burn a whole in your hard drive destroying all data on the, photo's spread sheets also the operating system. I have had a number of customers who didn't put and protection on their machine lose so much work, and the computer which I link all my customers hard drives up to froze because of the viruses on the hard drives, luckily I can just re-install whenever I like but others can't do this and it can costa fortune to put right.

I'm not sure how Macs work as I don't do them, but all windows are vunerable especially with data on them.

forum avatarBowen73
24th September 2010 2:05 PM
I have used eset smart security for a number of years now... they started as anti virus, but have not gone the whole hog with anti span, firewall etc etc..

i swear by it and in 7 or 8 years i've been using it i have never had an infiltration as it always catches whatever nasties are about.

i have used the CA (computer associates) software on a corporate level..which is amazing and very indepth for website filtering and blocking for staff...and security to the point of not allowing usb's to be accessed so staff dont try and steal info in a bit of industrial espionage...lol... but that's silly expesive...

for the home user/small business i would go with eset.

This Thread is now closed for comments