Crime - Victims and their Perpetrators

By : Forum Member
Published 26th September 2014 |
Read latest comment - 27th September 2014

With the recent news of DLT being given a suspended sentence for an alleged assault years ago (personally, i am pleased he wasnt sent down) yet again the victim gets the right to retain her anonymity !

There are no Rights for the accused - think we have debated this before but the Law has to protect both the alleged victim but also the ALLEGED perpetrator! 

How can anyone get a fair trial if the Jury are fed media hype before the hearing?

I am all for publishing the details after the Court case but no details should be printed before or during the hearing, its only fair.

Clive
Comments

The problem with keeping the media/press out of courts would in effect close them to the public too. People will then be "judged" behind closed doors by a system that is in effect a law unto itself. Wholesale corruption, injustice and mysterious legal practices would inevitably emerge "unchecked and unchallenged" 

Justice has to be Seen to be done....

by keeping it in the public domain it remains largely impartial and equitable to all. If you are Mr Jo average, very few will care if you are caught committing a lewed act in a public place. However if you are a celebrity who has made your money in the public spotlight, then in my humble view you have given up the right for privacy and you deserve to be "questioned" in public.

if you take the kings shilling....

If it's any consolation, I too liked Dave Lee Travis, not sure I would like to supervise him on a suspended sentence though, I would be far too tempted to sell his autograph....

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

This Thread is now closed for comments