Terms and Conditions etc - Help please!

By : Forum Moderator
Published 21st June 2015 |
Read latest comment - 24th June 2015

I just about to set up my website. My friend has the actual website in hand (he's a web designer) but I am working on the copy. I am going to keep it quite simple I think, more as a gateway to my business. I don't need a shop or anything like that as I am proofreader, so I guess it will be aimed at getting my brand out there and being a call to action to enable people to contact me.

So... what I want to know is what will I need in the area of terms and conditions etc? I am not in a position to start paying anyone to write them for me (before anyone offers) but what does one need on a website? I've never had one before! Eeek!

Thanks, I am feeling suddenly very naive, which is not something I am used to.

Comments

Hi.

Have you looked at other proof readers terms and conditions , you could use them as a template to get an idea for your own website.. Not sure if this will be any help for you but found it on a search  http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/bestprac/ctacs.asp.

Sometimes there are template terms/conditions available to get you going in the right direction, when I did mine I use both template and other similar sites terms to get me on the  right track. I suppose you could miss the next option in hiring a proof reader lol to get everything ship shape and correct any errors 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Of course! Just look at other sites! DURRR! Thanks Andy. I went a little snow blind there for a minute!

I will be getting someone to read through my work on the site as I can't afford for any typos to slip through, it's really hard to proofread your own work. 

Yup, first thing I did was look at competitors and base ours around those. Later on I "legalised" them.

Since then a variety of sites have nicked ours, so what goes around...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

No problem, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.Just don't make it the same but tweak them to suite you  , but I'm sure you know that  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I know it's a bit biased , but we actually launched a special service for website package documents drafted specifically for you and your business by a UK lawyer. It won't be another template downloaded off the web, and you'll get all 5 documents for the price of one.

Here's the breakdown:

Hope that helps!

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

Your post about that actually reminded me I needed to do them. I don't think I can justify paying anyone to do it just yet though. Thanks anyway, I'll bear it mind for the future. 

As long as they are watertight for you and cover legally you then writing your own is fine.

As a copywriter you should be far better at this than your average person, using the correct words and not lots of blather and not lots of comma's in the wrong place that can make something read totally different to what you actually mean, and making something crystal clear and not ambiguous, hence why legal T&C's are written in a certain way for that very reason.

The customer should be able to read them and make sense of them of course, but it's about covering yourself more than anything. Of course, T&C should be fair to both parties too.

indizine
indizine

hence why legal T&C's are written in a certain way for that very reason.”

Some of ours are like war in peace. Here are some of my favourite bits, it's not our fault, it will never be our fault, and if nothing works it's still not our fault  No idea why number 7 is in upper case, but it came from the legal people.

7. Disclaimer

THE INFORMATION IN THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. TDS SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ERRORS, OMISSIONS OR TECHNICAL INACCURACIES IN THIS WEBSITE.

10. No guarantee of continuous use

We do not guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to our services, and operation of our site may be stopped due to factors outside our control.

11. Survival

In the event one part of this Agreement is found to be invalid, the other provisions shall remain valid and enforceable.

12. Agreement

Your use of this website signifies that you have read, understand and agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I love number 11. Basically even if we messed up one, you can't wriggle out of paying by saying everything is invalid.  I'm stealing it. 

This Thread is now closed for comments