Hijacking Farce

By : Forum Member
Published 1st April 2016 |
Read latest comment - 1st April 2016

Whilst the recent EgyptAir hijacking was no laughing matter, it quickly became farcical.

Firstly, we had the Alexandria airport security staff who did not spot the "suicide belt".  Then news reports saying that the hijacker was 27; one Sky News newsreader openly questioned that on-air. Add to that the Greek Cypriot President's joke about these incidents always involving a woman. The passenger/crew member escaping from the cockpit window instead of down the steps.  The selfie that was not a selfie and the guy's employer wanting a chat with him when he returns.  Now we find out that cabin crew actually asked him to pose for the photos, then he took one of a stewardess with the hijacker, so that they could send them to the Cypriot Police.  

There are so many comments that could be passed, but the Egyptians really need to get their act together and improve security instead of feeling miffed that outsiders are trying to tell them what to do.  

JuliaP
Comments

I found the BBC reporting interesting.

They clearly were expecting a long hi-jacking, and had organised a survivor from a 1980's hijacking which went horribly wrong. I suppose they could utilised all sorts of survivor news nuggets and anecdotal advice.

Instead it was all over before it started, and the poor chap that was being interviewed was relating events from years before which held absolutely no similarity and was clearly emergency filler on a slow news day

My mate goes to Sharm El Sheikh at least twice a year diving, and has done for years, including all through the Arab Spring uprisings.

I said to him aren't you bothered by security issues, but he said he's not worried and never feels threatened. Although the tourists have dried up and a lot of the subsidiary industries like diving schools which tend to be run by UK or EU expats are struggling or closing. He did say though as a bonus is it's cheap as chips now to got to Egypt 

Wouldn't be my destination of choice, or anywhere in that region, which is a shame because it is actually an interesting part of the world.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments