4.1 million signatures - but May says no to 2nd EU Ref

By : Administrator
Published 11th July 2016 |
Read latest comment - 13th July 2016

So the 2nd EU Referendum petition is up to 4.1 million signatures, which means it has to be considered by parliament, but Theresa May says there would be no second EU referendum.

Here is the current official statement:

So does this mean this still has to go for debate or has it been stopped in its tracks?

Do you think this petition should be pulled down and we concentrate on preparing for Brexit, or do you hold out hope this petition may be the beginning of an ongoing campaign?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Yeah, the problem with the last referendum was that the people that voted out didn't realise what they were voting for, totally misunderstood all the arguments, voted soley on the basis that their all racists including those that were of Asian or Afro / Caribbean decent. You cannot govern a country by having referendums every 10 minutes. The country has voted and the vote counted, the leave campaign won, granted they won by a small margin, but they won by a margin large enough.......

It would be a brave and dare I say a stupid government to hold another referendum regardless of all the 'what ifs' and or the 'legalities' of the recent referendum, as each person had one vote and each vote counted so we were all on a level playing field.....

The poll tax riots of the 80s will be like a game of tiddly winks if certain people try and manipulate the recent results, I'd expect to see a blood bath on the streets......

Thanks,
Barney

Interesting official response to the petition:

The Petitions Committee has decided to schedule a House of Commons debate on this petition. The debate will take place on 5 September at 4.30pm in Westminster Hall, the second debating chamber of the House of Commons. The debate will be opened by Ian Blackford MP.

The Committee has decided that the huge number of people signing this petition means that it should be debated by MPs. The Petitions Committee would like to make clear that, in scheduling this debate, they are not supporting the call for a second referendum. The debate will allow MPs to put forward a range of views on behalf of their constituents. At the end of the debate, a Government Minister will respond to the points raised.

A debate in Westminster Hall does not have the power to change the law, and won’t end with the House of Commons deciding whether or not to have a second referendum. Moreover, the petition – which was opened on 25 May, well before the referendum – calls for the referendum rules to be changed. It is now too late for the rules to be changed retrospectively. It will be up to the Government to decide whether it wants to start the process of agreeing a new law for a second referendum.

The Petitions Committee is a cross-party group of MPs. It is independent from Government. You can find out more about the Committee on its website: http://www.parliament.uk/petitions-committee/role

No doubt will result in a lot of hot air, some headlines and 24 hour news fodder, but nothing will change, apart from some more money spent.

Money markets seem to be slowly recovering. $1.33 to the £1 this morning, and €1.2 to the £1.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments