Aircraft Evacuations

By : Forum Member
Published 4th August 2016 |
Read latest comment - 21st September 2016

Very sad news that a firefighter lost his life at Dubai Airport yesterday.  Speculation is rife on the cause of the accident. My contact there has not added anything apart from saying the investigators have arrived.

What really annoys me are people who are unable or unwilling to follow instructions.  Videos taken inside the aircraft show passengers trying to retrieve their hand luggage whilst cabin crew are shouting instructions to evacuate the aircraft.   Not only are they putting their own lives at risk, but those of the crew and firefighters.  Trying to get a wheeled bag down the chute is not only a hindrance, but could actually puncture the chute and render it useless.  Not clever when there are 300 people trying to escape.  

One suggestion I have seen this morning is that the overhead bins have a central locking system, which cabin crew activate before take off and landing, as they do with the toilets.  Keeping ticket/money/passport in your pocket is better.  

Don't want to be a scaremonger as these events are very rare, but really.......

JuliaP
Comments

Reminds me of the British Airways Las Vegas fire, with passengers coming down the chutes with baggage and taking selfies with the fire in the background.

Superb and calm professionalism shown by crew, with incredible stupidity shown by some of the passengers.

Central locking for the overhead bins sounds a really ingenious and simple solution, although a huge cost to retrofit.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Steve, central locking is a good idea but the aviation industry moves very slowly and it could take up to 15 years for approval.  Taking carry on allowances bag to, say, 10 kilos would be something the airlines could do very quickly.  Also, they should get the emergency cards reprinted with a suitable graphic for leaving bags behind.

Bizarrely, Dubai Government has imposed a ban on residents saying anything about the crash on social media.  That's why my contact there was unusually reticent; he works at the airport.

JuliaP

Dubai Government has imposed a ban on residents saying anything about the crash on social media.  That's why my contact there was unusually reticent; he works at the airport.”

Fascinating isn't it, even now Governments are still trying to control social media. Instead of embracing it, turn a negative into a positive, showing the world class professionalism of a modern airport, passengers all got out ok, etc etc. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Interim report published a couple of weeks ago and it mentions the evacuation difficulties due to the fire and weather conditions (very windy), as well as passengers trying to take bags with them.

It appears that insufficient time may not have been allowed between powering up engines for go-around and retraction of undercarriage.  There is some speculation outside of the report about flight deck inexperience (Captain 34).  Hope the Dubai Government don't "spin" the final report, if human error is the cause.

JuliaP

This Thread is now closed for comments