Customer Confidentiality at Chemists

By : Forum Member
Published 24th August 2016 |
Read latest comment - 21st September 2016

Was tempted to post this on customer service thread, but thought it warranted a separate one.

My mother uses her local chemist's prescription collection service then collects medication from them.  About four months ago, her neighbour collected her medication without her permission.  She only found out when his son handed her the opened bag.  Obviously she visited the branch (it's the company beginning with L) to find out how this had happened.  No-one was able to recall why so notes were made to ensure it was not repeated.  She has never appointed him as her representative and nor would she.  It wasn't a mix-up with his as he uses a different doctors surgery and chemist.  

I have complained to the company concerned and they were concerned that, although it hasn't happened again since, it should not have happened in the first place.  Will see if there is any follow up.

Which brought me onto another chemist-related issue.  Why when collecting a prescription, are you expected to divulge your address to a shop full of strangers.  If I'm the only customer then I will do it.  However, if there are others there then I show my driving licence.  It causes some difficulty until I explain about security.  The UK should adopt the Spanish system whereby a plastic card is issued which contains the customer's medication details. The card is swiped and details checked on a computer.  If you don't present your card, you don't get your medication.  

JuliaP
Comments
Why when collecting a prescription, are you expected to divulge your address to a shop full of strangers.  If I'm the only customer then I will do it.  However, if there are others there then I show my driving licence.  It causes some difficulty until I explain about security.  The UK should adopt the Spanish system whereby a plastic card is issued which contains the customer's medication details. The card is swiped and details checked on a computer.  If you don't present your card, you don't get your medication.  ”

Very good point. You get it in banks as well, being asked personal information whilst having a queue of strangers behind you.

There you go, there's your cats eyes moment, make it happen 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

now here is a perfect example of why a ID card is useful ....yes

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Very good point. You get it in banks as well, being asked personal information whilst having a queue of strangers behind you.

There you go, there's your cats eyes moment, make it happen 

If it's anything like any other government department I've contacted recently, I think I'll save my breath!

Will run it past doc when I go to see him next, after all it's not what you know but who you know....

JuliaP

This Thread is now closed for comments