Reserved Seats on Trains

By : Forum Member
Published 23rd September 2016 |
Read latest comment - 26th September 2016

Well done to the disabled lady who posted a photo of the two men who refused to move from the seats she had reserved for herself and her friend.  They were travelling on a Virgin East Coast service.

Whilst I can sympathise, why didn't she or her friend seek out the train manager or other onboard staff to resolve the situation.  If I find someone occupying my reserved seat, I politely ask them to move and it works.  Sometimes I'm greeted with "but my seat is occupied", so move the person in it!  This is a very simple system to operate, why do so many find it so difficult......

JuliaP
Comments

Yep saw that and totally agree with you. Disgusting behaviour, i hope they are tracked down and humiliated !

I get that at the cinema, if i book online you get the upgraded seats - always to find a couple of kids trying it on in my reserved seats. A swift move it usually works

Clive

One of them decided to contact the Daily Mail and give his version.  Not only was he ignorant in not giving up his seat, he is ignorant of the different types of disability as he claimed she didn't look disabled, yes really.  His father has sprung to his defence by saying he's not like that.  Blame now on Virgin East Coast for announcing reservations were cancelled on that train, but company not willing to confirm.   

My last experience of this was on West Coast in January.  I boarded at Watford, found my seat and was informed by passenger next to me "he'll be mad that you've got his seat when he comes back".  I produced ticket with right coach and seat number and basically said "tough".  

I've got on Virgin West Coast ones that did not have reservations displayed.  Explanation from train manager was one with reservation was running late so they decided to bring in an extra one.

JuliaP

Chivalry and manners seems to be be a dying trait these days. 

I was brought up to open doors for ladies (well anyone really) and give up seats for the elderly and/or infirm, something i am insisting my boys follow suit with.  

That being said even when i try and hold doors open you get cut a dirty look rather than the thanks i would have appreciated 

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments