Standing up for shop assistants

By : Forum Member
Published 12th April 2017 |
Read latest comment - 22nd May 2017

I know some of them need a lesson in customer service but others have my admiration for putting up with silly customers.

In supermarket earlier, checkout lady scanned a reduced item which came up as £541 (very expensive loaf, lol!).  When she tried to void it, it then doubled the amount.  After a minute, she managed to void both items but then needed someone more senior to reset the till so that I could pay.  Enter couple behind me.  There is a time when people should keep their mouths shut and this was it.  Checkout lady was already stressed but no, man had to then make stupid comment about walking out and leaving their shopping.  Woman then interrupted supervisor dealing with another customer to complain about time it was taking to resolve issue.  I made point very loudly to supervisor that I hadn't complained.  

I know that shop assistants are supposed to not react, but between us the complaining customers certainly knew they weren't being clever.  Rant over.......

JuliaP
Comments

You have to admire some, it doesn't help when everyone starts to complain! I used to work in McDonalds when I was at school and the amount of grief you had to deal with was insane, a lot of the time I had to take the blame when it was actually the staff in the kitchen who were to blame, its crazy- I know its only McDonalds but it did used to get so stressful 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

I must be attracting them!

Last Friday was in Iceland minding my own business when loud mouthed pensioner wanted to pay at till but assistant was helping colleague stack freezers.  Instead of walking over and asking politely, he shouted something obtuse like "you saw me coming and went to hide".  I was now standing next to assistant who muttered a "friendly greeting" and went off to serve him.  

Ten minutes later, I was ready to pay so unloaded basket.  I commented to assistant about his attitude.  She then apologised to me for comments as she realised I had heard her.  Apparently he's been behaving this way for 10+ years!

Cue yesterday morning in local Co-op.  Newspaper I wanted had arrived without supplements.  Four or five irate customers harassing assistants although it was not their fault.  Rather than get involved and give the complaining customers a lesson in how to be polite, I got back in car and headed for Tesco Express.....

JuliaP

I must admit, I have just got back from Tenerife, flew with RyanAir which was a mistake.

Two drunken passengers sat behind me on the outbound flight.

It must have been the 10th beer this guy had ordered...

Air hostess didn't have his change so asked if it was possible to wait until she had finished serving the rest of the plane and then she would have his change- he said that was fine, however as she continued down the plane he muttered she was a stupid b**** and then began to shout abuse at her until he received his £5 change. 

It was terrible, the poor girl! 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

One good reason why I won't fly Ryanair is their inability to handle rowdy passengers.

Jet2 is taking the lead with alcohol restrictions.  Unfortunately, cabin crew income is supplemented by on-board sales but airlines really do have to take this more seriously.  

JuliaP

Last Friday was in Iceland minding my own business when loud mouthed pensioner wanted to pay at till but assistant was helping colleague stack freezers....”

I was just about to say whats it like in Iceland as it's somewhere I quite fancy going as it's bit different  Then the penny dropped

This is going to be non-PC and no doubt will get blasted, but we seemed to be getting ruder as a nation. Either average intelligence is diminishing (I blame reality TV) or its due to an ageing population. As we all know you get more cantankerous as you get older, right up to the point of being bomb proof where you just say whatever you want to whoever you want, as the remorse button obviously packs up in the final chapters 

Anyone over the age of 60 should be made to use home delivery, or only use supermarkets during business hours, but not lunchtime. I think till rage could be reduced by 80%.

If Corbyn added that to his manifesto, I'd vote for him...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

One good reason why I won't fly Ryanair is their inability to handle rowdy passengers.

Jet2 is taking the lead with alcohol restrictions.  Unfortunately, cabin crew income is supplemented by on-board sales but airlines really do have to take this more seriously.  ”

I never understood why they just didn't ban booze on budget flights. Didn't realise it was such a revenue earner.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Maybe they could do with taking a leaf out of United Airlines book?! 

Jet2 is taking the lead with alcohol restrictions.  Unfortunately, cabin crew income is supplemented by on-board sales but airlines really do have to take this more seriously.  ”

Thanks,
ITGeek007

Anyone over the age of 60 should be made to use home delivery, or only use supermarkets during business hours, but not lunchtime. I think till rage could be reduced by 80%"

Be careful! We're not all the same in that age group, thankfully.....  I don't know why old people think they have a divine right to be rude.  Also can't understand why they revert to child-like behaviour.  An ex-colleague used to refer to her elderly parents as "the kids".  I thought this reference was to her nieces/nephews, but no and I understand exactly where she's coming from.  In the days when workers had to do their shopping on a Saturday, there was frustration around supermarkets being full of mobile pensioners who had all week to shop.   A friend was told by a nurse that the majority of people don't become nasty/ill-mannered when they become old or infirm, they've usually been like it all their lives.

JuliaP

This Thread is now closed for comments