By : Forum Member
Published 29th January 2010 |
Read latest comment - 1st March 2010

This is an article out the other day - People use NHS '2,000 times each' | News

The full article doesn

Clive
Comments
What a load of old cobblers!

Quote - "The average person is in contact with the health service once a fortnight (2,153 times up to the age of 80), while collecting an estimated 1,330 prescriptions.

They also make 31 visits to Accident & Emergency and go on 12 ambulance journeys."

Who on earth conducted this crackpot study? Bet it cost the taxpayer a few hundred thousand though

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

It's average vs typical.

I'm betting, for instance, that people who require frequent treatments or therapies (eg dialysis 3 times a week, or chemotherapy) have each individual visit listed as a separate contact, and that if they get NHS transport (eg cancer patient transferred by non-emergency ambulance from hospice to therapy unit) that's an extra contact for each trip as well.

There'll be the supervised methadone programs in there as well (drugs consumed on-site only) which are daily or even twice-daily contacts.

I'm also betting that things like going into A&E counts as at least 100 separate contacts - a contact with the ambulance service, a contact with the admissions unit, a contact with the triage nurses, a contact with the ward nurses, a contact with a doctor, a contact with the X-ray unit, another contact with a doctor, a contact with the surgery team, a contact with the anaesthesiologists, a contact with the recovery room...

VirtuallyMary

Well I have used my quota up damn kidney stones.

Stavros

forum avatarKip FX Design
26th February 2010 12:31 PM
Maybe its all that Veg!

It's average vs typical....

True, I suppose 90% of the population averaged over 10% of high users.

There'll be the supervised methadone programs in there as well (drugs consumed on-site only) which are daily or even twice-daily contacts...

Every cloud!! Onto NHS direct right now.

Maybe its all that Veg!

didn't know sprouts had stones in them?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I am like an otter.
I swallow stones for ballast hence the mid riff its not fat just big pebbles.

Stavros

This Thread is now closed for comments