Mylocalforums

By : Senior Entrepreneur
Published 2nd May 2012 |
Read latest comment - 14th May 2012

Think about an idea at the moment and started some research, first keywords I put in up pops the forum and a picture of the governor of the forum.

Keywords Bad Payers

tomsk
Comments
lol I get everywhere!

Been experimenting with Terry from UKSBD and playing with the author tag and it's working. Unfortunately Google won't show any logo's or non Google+ profile pictures at present.

You can show your own photo on threads you've contributed on by adding the following line to your signature:

[U R L="https://plus.google.com<your google+ link>/?rel=author"]Google+ Profile[/URL] (remove spaces in first URL)

Eventually I want to add it into everyone's options, so you will get any credit for any post, but still at the tinkering stage

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

The reason for my research is that I am thinking of starting a website to embarrass business that withhold payments.

The hope is that I can seo a page for their business name and damaged their reputation, and I guess as longs as I am factually correct it can be done with out any legal issues.

Thoughts please.

tomsk

It depends why? If you are doing it for financial gain (ie advertising, monetizing traffic etc) then it's a risky strategy.

If someone has genuinely wound you up, then it's a lot of effort to go to. There are already countless review sites out there. If you are doing it as a public service, then you have to make sure you are squeaky clean legally.

But if a company is dealing in practices some might perceive to call deceptive or shady, and people are naturally looking for more information, then it can be effective, eg:

Business Directory Renewal Scam

Vision aka VARDIS

My particular favourite...

0207 0603 887

Steve Richardson

If you are doing it as a public service, then you have to make sure you are squeaky clean legally.

I have done 29k worth of business for a company who told me they would pay the day the work finished, that was 6 weeks ago.

They are saying that when they get paid I will get paid but that was not as agreed, I not overally concerned about the money I pretty sure I going to get it, but I am put out with the FU attitude of it.

You can review loads of restaurants, hotels etc but no really business from a payment point of view.

I think with these days of reputation being important online it may be another way of collecting debts.

As I said just a thought at the moment.

tomsk

As I said just a thought at the moment.

For that kind of money, I can see your point! Hope you get your dosh ok, otherwise no doubt it will be the debt collector!

Yep, I'd prob want to name and shame as well

Steve Richardson

I think that in last few years it has become more acceptable to say you will have to wait because I have not go it yet and I don't think that is right.

And to be pedantic in a case of a limit company that would make them insolvent in my books.

This particular company is media driven so they would be aware of the online reputation.

Again not singling them out but more the concept of outing the ones who take the mick!

tomsk

Again not singling them out but more the concept of outing the ones who take the mick!

Concept is great, but based on the experience of running a review site, it can be hard work, you need good moderation and processes in place, and you will still receive the grief of threatening calls/email and legal letters, so I certainly wouldn't do it for free, but not sure how you would monetize it if that was the sole purpose of the site?

Steve Richardson

Thanks Steve for your thoughts

I am now the proud owner of the domain name www.non-payment.co.uk

Whatch this space

tomsk

I would send them an email, telling them that you will be charging interest to the outstanding invoice and will continue to do so, until it is has been paid in full. If you start giving them grief publicly on the internet, it may well make them even more reluctant to pay and drag it out even longer. Also a letter from Northamton county court may well trigger them into paying. I don't mind offering people credit

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments