30 years today since the end of the Falklands

By : Administrator
Published 14th June 2012 |
Read latest comment - 14th June 2012

Blimey can't believe it's been 30 years!

Not forgetting the tragic human cost, and politics aside, it was another fine example of British make do. A bunch of ships that were about to be scrapped or sold, and aircraft that were well past their sell by date

My personal favourite is the Blackbuck raid by the Vulcan bomber, saved from the scrappie, asked to do a role it wasn't designed for, and took just about the complete air to air refuelling capability of the AirForce to get it to the Falklands, bomb the runway, and then safely back to Ascension Island.

From Nelson to Afghanistan, our kit maybe old and our numbers small, but you can't beat a bit of British Ingenuity and Dunkirk Spirit

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
Steve,

Did you see the TV programme on the Vulcan raid?

It almost did not happen, so many planes involved including the Victor tankers, another great plane.

regards

Mark

Mark Pitts

Was watching something on TV the other night about the Harriers & the Falklands - apparently we didnt lose a single one, although they were interviewing both British & Argentinian pilots and there was one particular dog fight where we shot 2 jets down. the 3rd jet was allegedly behind one of our Harriers but it suffered a malfunction and couldnt fire!!

I remember this conflict vividly, the sight of the Sir Galahad on fire and the horrific injuries suffered by some of the survivors, Simon Weston to name but one

I went to see one of the carriers come back to Portsmouth, not sure now if it was Hermes or Invincible, bit it was one hell of a sight watching it come in to Port and a typical British reception

Clive

Steve,

Did you see the TV programme on the Vulcan raid?

Nope missed it, but read the book, fascinating read called Vulcan 607.

Yep the Victor Tanker boys really were the unsung heros. Rule books out of the window and balls of steel

I went to see one of the carriers come back to Portsmouth, not sure now if it was Hermes or Invincible, bit it was one hell of a sight watching it come in to Port:

Yup, remember we all went down to Portsmouth to watch Hermes come home. To think she's still going strong! Saw her a couple of years ago leaving port in Mumbai, although now called the INS Viraat as she got transferred to the Indian Navy in '86. According to wikipedia she will be in service until 2020! Not bad for a boat laid down in 1944!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments