New look Tories, in with the totty out with the grey?

By : Administrator
Published 16th July 2014 |
Read latest comment - 30th July 2014

Can't beat a controversial headline, but doesn't the cabinet reshuffle just scream media/PR makeover and shameless vote grabber?

Genuinely surprised by Hague, actually thought he was one of the strong characters. Definitely time for Ken Clark to go, he's had a good run.

So what's the verdict, is it enough to stem the tide of voter discontent, or looking at Labour are they worrying about nothing? I always thought Blair had presence and was a strong leader, but I just can't get to grips with Ed Miliband. He just seems to come over as uncomfortable and unconvincing, in this politics by media age.

Maybe we will have a UKIP coalition 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Don't have a problem with women being in Parliament or in power, but they need to be there on merit rather than for trying to be PC and I'm not quite sure what any of these women have achieved in their short political careers.... This time next year the general election would have been and gone, so they will only have 10 months in their new positions so hardly long enough to be held accountable for much as no doubt they'll be still passing the buck to their predecessors..

Thanks,
Barney

Yup agree. The days of satisfying female, race, religion or even sexual preference quotas to prove a point or to be seen to be politically correct should be long over.

I want a cabinet member, ie a senior position MP to be in that job because of an accountable track record of achievement, and have some sort of confidence they can run whatever department they are responsible for.

I couldn't give two hoots, and doubt very many other people do if they are male/female black/white, fat/thin, bald, one legged or lesbian.

Its a bizarre political landscape at the moment, especially after the UKIP hysteria, and with the Scottish vote coming up. To me the old school parties look tired, jaded and almost desperate. I think the biggest issue will be trying to turn round voter apathy, which no doubt this is what this reshuffle charade is all about.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I'd be surprised if the majority of people in Scotland vote for independence I just don't see what they have to gain. I think as far as the rest of us are concerned the Lib-dems are finished after their brief period of sharing power, they killed themselves over the student fees debacle and they will never recover from that, so they'll revert back to being either the third or possibly the fourth political party. UKIP had a golden opportunity to build on the local election success but seem to have gone a bit quiet, when in reality they should be pounding the streets getting their message across to voters. 

Labour, for the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would vote for a party that took this country to war on a lie, with no one being held accountable for the countless lives lost, not just in this country either Innocent Iraqis also lost their lives. They also bankrupted this country and the unexplained death of Dr David Kelly and we then make the ring leader a middle east peace envoy!

Which leaves us with the Tories, well considering the state of the country when they came into office I don't think they've done to bad. And Ian Duncan Smith should be applauded in the way he has dealt with those on benefits.

Thanks,
Barney

The tories frustrate me, I think Cameron has gone off the boil and the reshuffle smells of election fear. I agree they havent done too bad a job economy wise, but thats only because their backs were against the wall, and it had to be fixed. Didn't matter who was in power, the choices were limited, borrowing was out, overhaul of the welfare system was the only real option.This should have been tackled by the Tories years ago and they are just to blame as Labour for the mess we got into.

I agree with colonwhisperer, where is the political talent? There are shineing stars scattered throughout all the parties, but I think the senior leadership across the board is a shambles.

Shakester

This Thread is now closed for comments