Ashya King - do the parents have a right to defy Doctors

By : Forum Member
Published 1st September 2014 |
Read latest comment - 3rd September 2014

I have been trying to follow this story and reading up just now that the parents are currently in Court appealing against their extradition back to the UK.

From what i gather, they fled to Spain to sell their holiday home to fund private treatment in the Czech Republic on the basis that the NHS have refused to treat the child with the same treatment on the NHS.

He has been taken out of hospital against advice, but since when did that become Law? Does a parent now not have the right to challenge the NHS advice and take him elsewhere to be treated?

Its alleged that the parents had an adequate treatment plan of feeding and drugs sourced off the internet and as parents naturally where taking good care of him.

So why the mass man hunt and why are they now holed up in a cell in Spain?

As a parent, you want the best care for your child and if the NHS would not fund a treatment then i would do exactly the same and take my child ANYWHERE in the World for he/she to be treated to give it the best possible chance of survival. 

I'm sure more of the case will drip in to the media soon, and my opinion may change, but on what little is out in public domain i'm in full support of the parents at this time.

Maybe less should be concentrated on the parents and thoughts turn to a gravely ill 5 year old who must be scared beyond belief and whilst he may have limited communication with the World no one knows what he is thinking or feeling.

Clive
Comments

Just heard that the Police have said that the situation surrounding Ashya is nit right and prosecutors are in the process of withdrawing the arrest warrant.

About time !

Clive

Saw this on the news while on holiday and I think the media reporting of this was disgusting.

We seem to be in a new age of gutter press and lazy journalism. Fair play headlines sell newspapers or attract viewers, but putting innocent people, from celebrities to normal people like me or you through the news funnel, to be picked over and speculated at is going too far.

From recent events such as the Levistan enquiry, it seems little has improved

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments