Starting Social Media Campaigns from Scratch

By : Administrator
Published 23rd January 2015 |
Read latest comment - 25th March 2019

I've never been the most disciplined when it comes to maintaining or keeping an eye on social media campaigns. It's normally done with fits and spurts of enthusiasm, and then moments of silence as normal workload demands make themselves felt.

But they've gradually grown quite nicely, with mixed results over the years, acting as more of a brand building exercise than customer generation.

But of all a sudden a new project has changed things, (including my perception) and social media is something to be taken very seriously. In our scenario (which will match a lot of new start ups) we don't as yet have a public facing website, but need to start generating interest immediately.

This is where social media does come into it's own and gives you a chance to try out different techniques to reach your target audience, as well as experiment publicly with brand styling, giving you a chance to road test some ideas.

How how long does it take before you see results?

After being given permission to start last week, it's become quite an interesting challenge. How do you start a brand new social media persona for your business or service and how long does it take before you see results?

So I thought I would share my results, as it may help other people either new to social media, or still grappling with the age old question, is it worth the time and energy for my business?

Facebook

I set up a new Facebook page at the end of November, which was then on hold. As of last Thursday (15/01/15) it only had 1 like.

www.facebook.com/trustedtrader.scot

This pages primary purpose is to collect expressions of interest via a temporary web page, until our new site goes live, and secondary purpose is to generate conversation, debate and publicity. 

As of today (23/01/15) it now has 88 likes. Ok it's vanity, but is also a perceived indicator of being established/popular/respected.

But more importantly we have generated a boat load of expressions of interest, giving us a fledgling customer contact database which has far exceeded expectations. If you do decide to promote posts by boosting them, make sure you add a facebook tracking cookie so you can closely monitor results. (guess who forgot initially ) Then amend and tweak as required or stop if it's not working.

Twitter

Twitter was set up last week, and a week later we have a grand total of 61 followers.

https://twitter.com/ScottishTraders

There's no rocket science to Twitter, follow like minded or potential customers and some will follow you in return. With no followers (and not paying to create them) Twitter is a dead duck. Make sure you stay in Twitters guidelines, don't overdo the follows and don't get into the trap of removing anyone who doesn't follow you back straight away. I've heard people have been suspended or had accounts deleted for doing this.

There are some great tools out there to help you curate and manage your followers, a favourite of mine is justunfollow.com easy to use and simple to set up and cost pennies.

Already we have traced a number of expressions of interest from Twitter, so reward versus effort is working out very well at present. Be interesting to see how this changes moving forward. Once we have enough of a following, then it will be time to do more tweets.

In the meantime, like facebook you can set a tweet so it sticks to the top of your profile, which will be the first thing visitors see. Make sure it's punchy enough for people to follow a call to action if that is your intent.

Google Plus

My favourite - not! Saved the worst till last  Set this up this afternoon with a total of no posts or followers.

Edinburgh Trusted Trader Google Page

As it's a new page, we have a lovely unfriendly URL which I think changes when (if) we get to a certain follower threshold.

Plan is to drop a relevant post inviting expressions of interest across different business communities. 

Social Media wise we're not planning on using anything else for now, mainly based on previous experience. But different things work for different businesses, so more visual related brands may prefer Pinterest or Instagram for example.

So very early days, we are a week in, but hopefully it will give some encouragement or kickstart someone who is also about to start from scratch.

It sounds daunting if its all new to you, but you will soon get into the flow of it. If it's not the marketing/promotion channel for your business, then don't worry and concentrate your efforts somewhere else.

But for the cynical, as long as you are clear with your objections, it may actually surprise you, so give it a go.

Anyone else recently started a new social media campaign and wants to share their experience?

Feel free to like/follow retweet or repost, all help gratefully received 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Time for a progress update.

Facebook has by far been the star performer and is responsible for generating 99% of our expressions of interest. It certainly has taken me (and everyone else) by surprise. 7 days ago we had 88 likes. 

As of today (30/01/15) we have 258 likes and customer leads have gone through the roof.

Key post aimed at generating conversions has been boosted which explains the spike, but it shows that even a brand new account with a good message can quickly generate leads via boosted post.

Twitter has been a lot slower but this week we stand at 85 followers up from 61. Only a couple of leads traced back, but at zero cost marketing wise.

Google Plus up to a monumental total of 6 followers, but very little done on it this week, so has already fallen into normal Google Plus pattern of posting once in a blue moon  

B- must try harder...

Steve Richardson

This is where I am at the moment. Interesting story actually, I should tell you sometime. But I am in the position of running a full scale social networking campaign for an established business on the go for a few years now that never delved much into the internet world let alone social media. I have an aged domain (about 6 years), but not much else. The company hosting was meant to work on the internet marketing aspect for my client, but when their root domain (the site is a sub domain) is not even socially connected, and only the basic web edits done on keywords etc... makes you think doesn't it? Ironically, the root domain is owned by.... wait for it..... and Internet marketing company... (facepalms). So here starts my new remarkable journey... I think..

Thanks,
Dreamraven

This is where I am at the moment.”

Well I did wonder stranger!

Sounds interesting, looking forward to hearing your progress 

Steve Richardson

lol, all my current technology has spectacularly failed me, so I am working on this from my work PC in the office. At the moment I'm busy with bank recons (with a rather large female cat sitting on the recons I'm currently working on ), so will have to put some time away to dedicate to the social campaign and get it going... I'm hoping to get something sorted out where I have some sort of technology to run around with so that I can be more active here. You have no idea how bad withdrawal symptoms get after not having a desktop or laptop for around 2 months? I was ready to.... hmmm should not implicate myself just yet methinks

Thanks,
Dreamraven

forum avatarGuest
21st February 2015 8:49 PM

Good post, Steve. I've started off with only G+ and LinkedIn - I've always hated Facebook and Twitter. I've been realising over the last few weeks since I've gone live, I probably should eat my words. G+ is generating a lot of views (45,000 in a month ish) and 20 ish followers, but I'm impressed at your comments re: Facebook.

This has changed my mind and I think I am going to have to use FB, and probably Twitter.

Thanks

Dean

I'm impressed at your comments re: Facebook.

This has changed my mind and I think I am going to have to use FB, and probably Twitter.”

Latest scores on the doors, FB 319 likes, Twitter 101 followers, and Google Plus, a grand total of 9 followers 

But it's been Facebook and a budget of £500 that has generated 4 weeks worth of customer applications, and even the though there has been  little further interaction and no more boosting posts, it is still generating interest and leads.

Interestingly, we started with a Facebook campaign which rand for a couple of days and did little. Instead, all the traction came from a boosted post, which was re-boosted once it was proven to work.

The boosted post generated a lot of comments, shares and general interaction. 

But it shows from a standing start with a modest budget, Facebook can be a very effective lead generation platform and there is no reason why this can't be replicated by other business types.

Once we have launched the website for the new project, then the plan is to simply utilise social media for general communication, ongoing lead generation and brand building.

But for generating initial interest, with no website to back it up with, Facebook has been an absolute runaway success certainly taking me by surprise.

Be interested to hear how Dreamravens campaign is going and let us know if you do have any success with FB Dean.

Steve Richardson

Time for an update now we are 4 months in.

FB 467 likes, Twitter 139 followers and Google Plus a declining total of 4!

There is a reason for Google Plus, it seems I set up the wrong type of page, meaning it wouldn't show in Google maps or have the ability to leave reviews. The main aim for this page was to show up in the Google results for Brand search terms. So I had to delete the Google page and create a new one, going through the pain of waiting for a postcard validation pin number being sent.

So lesson learnt, make sure you set up the correct Google Plus page from the beginning! 

To be honest, Facebook and Twitter are on semi tickover mode as they have served their purpose to generate initial interest, but will ramp up again shortly when the scheme is publicly launched and the social media channels will be used to reinforce messages.

But in summary, Facebook promotional campaigns have been very successful at generating interest and leads for a new service, which may be worth considering for any startups.  

Steve Richardson

Ive started a Company in the last few months and have been busy bashing my head on the desk with Google+ and Facebook.

With Facebook I added a business page to my personal Facebook then advertised it via the Facebook pay per click route. The results were poor apart from clear and obvious friends support the clicks were nearly all the result of click farm activity. So I pulled that add and have concentrated a bit more on the Google side.

With Google+ things have been a bit better, having created the landing page I took out and add (local) have had telephone contact so the adds have worked and to date just the one closed sale from a Google lead. But our sales have quite a high value so I'm ahead at the moment.

I have had one or two snags though. in particular with Google maps (a popular search). My company address is in Waltham Abbey which is in west Essex but I wanted to advertise in the Essex/Suffolk area so using the app I centred the area over Braintree and expanded the range about 30 miles or so. Its then that without any warning Google decided that the centre of the add must be where the company is based and adjusted the map pointer on the advert accordingly. So I had and address in one area with the map pointing to another, NOT GOOD. Clients don't like things like that and there will always be another company whose details all line up nicely on the same page so I think we suffered a bit there.

I've just corrected that today and got a boost from Google with some free advertising so we go again once all is settled down.

Interesting what you say about boosting Facebook posts, I might give it a go once I can go back to the page without feeling like I've just paid Facebook to pay someone else to click on my add. Grrrrr.

Time for an update now we are 4 months in.

FB 467 likes, Twitter 139 followers and Google Plus a declining total of 4!

There is a reason for Google Plus, it seems I set up the wrong type of page, meaning it wouldn't show in Google maps or have the ability to leave reviews. The main aim for this page was to show up in the Google results for Brand search terms. So I had to delete the Google page and create a new one, going through the pain of waiting for a postcard validation pin number being sent.

So lesson learnt, make sure you set up the correct Google Plus page from the beginning! 

To be honest, Facebook and Twitter are on semi tickover mode as they have served their purpose to generate initial interest, but will ramp up again shortly when the scheme is publicly launched and the social media channels will be used to reinforce messages.

But in summary, Facebook promotional campaigns have been very successful at generating interest and leads for a new service, which may be worth considering for any startups.  ”

Thanks,
Barry

I'd be interested to know what was in the post you boosted?  I am yet to spend much on Facebook as I tried a couple of things and it didn't work. I was told LinkedIn was the best place for b2b leads but I haven't done much apart from revamping my profile. I think I need to interact on there a bit more.  So many social media types and so little time!