How often should you post on social media?

By : Forum Moderator
Published 23rd May 2019 |
Read latest comment - 12th March 2020

The answer isn’t a number really, it is a word: consistently!

Just keep on showing up and it will work. Be consistent in your marketing, plan your posts and perhaps schedule them or at least pre-write them so you are not stuck with what to say. Of course, ad-hoc posting is still great, and you need to be engaging with the people who like or comment on your posts as well, but it will ensure you maintain a presence if you pre-plan your content ahead of time.

Personally, I post on my four main platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook) at least once a day. In addition to this I use Instagram and Facebook stories most days too. I plan and schedule it all once a week, then the pressure is off, and I know even if I have a crazy day I will have posted everywhere. 

Consistency is also about being on brand. Be authentic, whether that is you if you are a sole trader or authentic to your business brand if you are bigger. This is vital, because remember the point of social media is to get people not just aware of you and what you offer, but to get them to know, like and trust you as well. By being yourself, adding some personality and uniqueness to your posts, you will stand out and attract the right audience.

It is all about the long game, being consistent, keeping showing up and it WILL work. Trust me, I’ve tried it.

Comments

It depends on business. 

Scheduling and planning at once a week may save lot of time. 

May I ask which scheduling tool you use?

Thanks,
Mollie

I'm a fan of ContentCal

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks a lot for suggesting a scheduling tool to me. I would definitely try using ContentCal for my social media planning and scheduling.

Thanks,
Mollie

How often you should post will depend on what platforms your audience are on, their schedules and the kind of content you’re posting. There’s no particular number for social media success.

It totally depends upon your business. For example, National Geographic posts around 5-7 times a day on Instagram. They get on average more than 225k likes per post at a 0.23% engagement rate. Whereas Nike who posts a few times a month, gets an average of 315k likes per post with a 0.38% engagement rate. Both profiles have found huge success despite having very different strategies!

This good real-time example is mentioned in the article “How Often Should You Post on Social Media?” written by Hannah Williams. You can refer to this article for more precise information.

Thanks,
Sophie_Leonard

Thanks Sophie. I guess my article was based on the small businesses that are on this forum. As realistically there's only so much you can do when you're a smaller business but consistency is the key element, however many times you decide is best for you. 

I agree with the previous answers: everything depends on the channel. I work as a real estate consultant in Homes Direct and try to update social media regularly. For instance, I post:

• Facebook - once every day
  • Twitter - approximately 15 tweets per day, usually between 2 a.m. and 10 p.m.
  • Pinterest (which is a great channel for all real estate agents) - 10 pins per day
  • LinkedIn - one post per day
  • Instagram - 1-2 pics every day

Thanks,
Alice Wilson

Yes it is true that what once see is sold. If you want your product to have  more sale, then you have to take full advantage of social media. 

Thanks,
tiktokviews

There might be a sweet spot when it comes to the amount of time you spend on social media. Keeping your use down to just 30 minutes a day can lead to better mental health outcomes, according to research

redstone

There might be a sweet spot when it comes to the amount of time you spend on social media. Keeping your use down to just 30 minutes a day can lead to better mental health outcomes, according to research”

I don't think I would be getting 4-5 leads a day from social media if I was only on there 30 mins!! That's not long enough for me. 

This Thread is now closed for comments