'Snap Map'- Dangerous or helpful?

By : Forum Member
Published 10th July 2017 |
Read latest comment - 27th July 2017

Most of you will know about or have the social networking app Snapchat. I use it all the time to talk to my friends, its a really quick and easy way to communicate, however their newest update might have not been the smartest. 

Introducing the new 'Snap Map', this feature of Snapchat allows you to share your location with your friends. By pinching the home screen a map like the one below appears: 

The Map shows your friends and what exact location they are in. The map is a street map and is similar to google maps. By clicking on an avatar you are able to see how long ago they were active and where they were at that time.  

The new update does have an option of 'ghost mode' this particular setting will take you off the map and will not allow anyone to see where you are located. In my opinion this is the safest option; due to the update being available to all ages using the app it is advisory that with any child under the age of 18 they should use 'ghost mode'. 

The app tracks your location using you GP sensor within your smartphone. 

The new update has raised some concerns form police and schools due to child safety, it does focus primarily on younger children however can be dangerous to all age groups, especially if you have friends that you don't really know on the app. 

The Telegraph reported: 

"It is important to be careful about who you share your location with, as it can allow people to build up a picture of where you live, go to school and spend your time. Given how specific this new feature is on Snapchat - giving your location to a precise pinpoint on a map - we would encourage users not to share their location, especially with people they don’t know in person."

It is a case of being more aware of who you actually allow on your Social Media. Online safety is so important for all age groups. Keep your head switched on and this feature could be a fun way to spy on friends 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team
Comments

wow scary to think what can happen with something like that ..Handy if you meeting a friend other than that I would use ghost mode

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Most of you will know about or have the social networking app Snapchat. I use it all the time to talk to my friends, its a really quick and easy way to communicate, however their newest update might have not been the smartest. 

Introducing the new 'Snap Map', 

Most of you? I can safely say I have never used Snapchat in my life and have absolutely no idea what it is  Can't even get my head around Snapmap!

Biggest communication issue we had when we were younger, was getting the lock off the telephone 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Exactly my thinking! I use ghost mode, however it is handy to track where friends are if you are meant to be meeting them

wow scary to think what can happen with something like that ..Handy if you meeting a friend other than that I would use ghost mode”

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

I am way too old for Snapchat thank goodness but my step daughters obsessively use it . This Snapmap sounds like a stalker's dream to me. Terrifying!!

Just have to make sure you don't accept anyone you don't know on there- best way to keep safe!

I am way too old for Snapchat thank goodness but my step daughters obsessively use it . This Snapmap sounds like a stalker's dream to me. Terrifying!!”

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

It is just unnecessary really isn't it? I wouldn't want to use it and I think for younger people it can be worse especially if they just add anyone on Snaphat! Do they have some sort of disclaimer for it, they must do. Snapchat best friends ruined peoples relationships and friendships this Snap Map is a bit too far!

Kindest Regards,
Pac-hs Limited

This Thread is now closed for comments